Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
greg_duckworth
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First reply posted First like given

I am trying to capture a stream of bits into a buffer using a PSOC5LP board.  I would like to capture roughly 40 bytes each burst at 8MHz.

This seems like a great job for a shift register and DMA.  

Apparently shift registers output to a FIFO which needs to be triggered by accessing a status register before the output will update properly.  Has anyone used a shift register and DMA like this before?  How do you access the appropriate registers and is it possible to use a 32-bit wide shift register?

I will upload a sample project tomorrow (I have run out of work day now)

Thanks

Greg

0 Likes
1 Solution
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

greg,

I see a bottleneck with DMA transfer speed, which is 11-14 clocks per byte, which would need the BUS_CLOK speed greater than 80MHz to handle 8MHz burst train. Possible solutions could be:

(i) using some hardware FIFO to intermediately hold the data,

(ii) directly reading by CPU w/o DMA,

(iii) use faster MCU,

(iv) overclock PSoC5 to 100+MHz. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
odissey1
Level 9
Level 9
First comment on KBA 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

greg,

I see a bottleneck with DMA transfer speed, which is 11-14 clocks per byte, which would need the BUS_CLOK speed greater than 80MHz to handle 8MHz burst train. Possible solutions could be:

(i) using some hardware FIFO to intermediately hold the data,

(ii) directly reading by CPU w/o DMA,

(iii) use faster MCU,

(iv) overclock PSoC5 to 100+MHz. 

greg_duckworth
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First reply posted First like given

Thank you for the heads up, I hadnt realised transfer speed would be a bottleneck.  I shall try using an SPI component instead.

Cheers

Greg

0 Likes

Greg,

I might have misleaded you. If 8 MHz is a data clock speed, then it is only 1 MHz of byte speed, which DMA can handle easily. 

0 Likes