Cannot update firmware

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
user_1665606
Level 2
Level 2
First like given

According to PSoC Creator the firmware of my CY8CKIT (the black board) needs update. I opened up the PSoC Programmer, it detected the port and I managed to chose the right device (CY8C5888LT-LP097) but when I hit 'Upgrade Firmware' I get this error:

| Select Port in the PortList, then try to connect
                                                  | FAILED! Can not initialize Bootloader. Please replug KitProg device.
                                                  | Initializing...

I have tried to use a different port with no success. I'm using Windows 7 as virtual machine on OS X. The green status LED keeps blinking fast. Any ideas what to do? 

0 Likes
1 Solution
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

There is no device to choose when updating the firmware, just open the utilities tab and select your kitprog.

Virtual machines can lead to truouble, I would suggest to use for the updating process a normal windows PC.

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Likes
13 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

There is no device to choose when updating the firmware, just open the utilities tab and select your kitprog.

Virtual machines can lead to truouble, I would suggest to use for the updating process a normal windows PC.

Bob

0 Likes

Thanks, Bob!

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Well, let's see if it works 😉

Bob

0 Likes

Funny thing Bob, all my friends are 'creative types' and none of them have Windows machines:( Thank you for your kind help and your fast reply!

0 Likes
user_1665606
Level 2
Level 2
First like given

Bob, the green LED on the USB programmer blinks fast even without pressing the button. Is that ok? Somewhere lese I read the button needs to be pressed frist.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

You wrote "According to PSoC Creator the firmware of my CY8CKIT" Which kit? -049? -044??

Bob

0 Likes
BuHa_1507271
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 10 questions asked 10 sign-ins

OK, I was getting the same symptom trying to update the KITPROG still attached to a CY8CKIT-059.    It repeatedly failed to upgrade from KitProg version 2.11 -> 2.16.

I managed to resolve the problem by plugging the device directly into a USB 2.0 port on the computer.   I'm not sure why it didn't work when I was plugging into a USB 3.0 hub, but it didn't.    I hope that helps anyone else getting this message. 

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us! Your solution probably has to do with a driver problem, I assume.

Bob

0 Likes
BuHa_1507271
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 10 questions asked 10 sign-ins

The strange thing is that I can flash the target device just fine through the hub.   It seemed only to be the KitProg update that wouldn't work.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the same message when trying to upgrade the firmware for my pioner-m dev kit.

Google pointed to : SPAM FILTER 😞

although, for the BLE dev kits, the instructions for the ProgKit should still be valid.

Unfortunately, the article hints not that you need too set in bootloader mode the board by press&hold SWITCH1 when powering.

I did that, then a whole new device showed up, drivers installed etc.

Then in the PSOCprogrammer software you actually upgrade in disconnected state ( unlike the article pictures)

So very different exp, hope it is all good now.

BTW, also in VM but under Linux here 😉

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I post a link ? even when it points to knowledge based article within cypress[dot]com ??? SPAM FILTER 😞

0 Likes
user_1665606
Level 2
Level 2
First like given

So I've tried it again. First I did a firmware update on a Windows 7 machine. Then I launched Virtualbox which I had just updated to the latest version - 5.1.14. When running the programmer, first it failed to update the firmware. Tried again and success!!! 

One more thing: the USB connection tends to drop frequently in Virtualbox. Just go to 'Devices' -> 'USB' then click on the Cypress USB device. That will instantly bring the device back connected. 

Mac OS X 'El Capitan'

Virtualbox 5.1.14

Windows 7 VM

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Greg,

PSOC 6 BLE PIONEER KIT (CY8CKIT-062-BLE)

Your tip about the connection being dropped from the VM allowed me to do work out the details for me to do a successful update for my PSoC6 Pioneer board on a Windows 7 VM in VMWare.

I'm running a MacBook with High Sierra,  WMWare Fusion (10.1.1) 64 bit Windows 7 64bit Virtual machine up to date with patches current to April 3 2018.  The Cypress driver running in the Windows VM is version 2.0.0.2  9/11/2017.

Update was from 1.04 to 1.05

After many permutations I finally found that I had to double clutch the update (two attempts with the Programmer).  The first hotplug to the Windows 7 VM allowed the Programmer software to be recognized as a hot plug device as "Cypress KitProg2".  The firmware update resulted in a failure after a partial update like so many times before.  With your suggestion I physically left the device plugged in and virtually reconnected the USB device through the VMWare pull down menu "Virtual Machine" -> "USB & Bluetooth" and this time the hot plug USB device enumerated as the bootloader.  Programmer was then able to update the full image from 1.0.4 to 1.0.5. Note:  I had set firmware to not to do partial update in the settings of the programmer.  The Pioneer kit cable was connected through a powered external USB 2.0 hub into the 3.0 MacBook USB port. Not sure if either of those factors matters.

Environment:

PSoC Creator  4.2 (4.2.0.641)

Culture: English (United States)

OS Version: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 (note: this is being reported from Cypress Creator "about" window)

CLR Version: 4.0.30319.42000                                                ( It is actually Windows 7 sp1, VMWare mapping?)

Installed CyInstaller Products:

CY5672 PRoC BLE RC RDK 1.0 Rev.**

CY8CKIT-062-BLE PSoC 6 BLE Pioneer Kit 1.0 Rev.*B

CY8CKIT-145-40XX PSoC 4000S Prototyping Kit 1.0 Rev.*A

Cypress Document Manager 1.0 SP1

CySmart 1.2 SP1

Peripheral Driver Library 2.1.0

Peripheral Driver Library 3.0.1

PSoC Programmer 3.27.1.3121

PSoC Creator 4.2

0 Likes