Cannot program CY8CKIT-050 in Reset mode without external power supply

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ricardoquesada
Level 4
Level 4
First solution authored 50 sign-ins 25 replies posted

Hi,

I have:

I can program the 5LP with the MiniProg4 in Reset mode only when it is externally-powered.

But it fails if it is only powered by the MiniProg4.

I'm using latest PSoC Programmer with latest firmware for the MIniProg.

• PSoC Programmer v3.29.1
  • MiniProg4 fw version: 2.21.1005

Attached  is the image of the error and the how I'm configuring the PSoC programmer.

Any idea why it could be failing? Many thanks

failure.png

0 Likes
1 Solution
Raj_C
250 solutions authored 500 replies posted 50 likes received

Hi @ricardoquesada,

We will look into this issue and resolve it. We will update it as soon as we get the solution.

For now, we recommend using the MiniProg3 for programming.

Thank you

Best Regards

Raj Chaudhari

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies
Raj_C

Hi @ricardoquesada,

Can you please try changing the voltage setting to 5V and programming the device as shown following:

Raj_JC_0-1645185423016.png

Please, let me know if this works for you.

Thank you

Best Regards

Raj Chaudhari

0 Likes
ricardoquesada
Level 4
Level 4
First solution authored 50 sign-ins 25 replies posted

Thanks Raj!

Weird... I wonder what might be different in our setup. From your screenshot I can see that you are using the LP035... so it seems that we have the same setup... but I still cannot program it... no even using 5V.

Any other idea?  Thanks!

failure2.png

And it case it helps, this is how I'm connecting the cables:

(I also tried without the LCD screen, and the attached sensor, but with the same results)

PXL_20220218_163341523.MP.jpg

Thanks!

0 Likes
Raj_C

Hi @ricardoquesada,

Can you please check and connect the J10 and J11 for the 5V configuration? 

Thank you

Best Regards

Raj Chaudhari

0 Likes

Good catch Raj.

But I tried putting the jumpers in 5V, with the same results. Different things that I've  tried:

• With a brand new CY8CKIT-050 (I've just opened), and two others that were known two work properly.
  • The USB-C cable that comes with the MiniProg4 and my own USB-C cable
  • Tried on Linux + VMWare + Win 10 Pro... and tried on two different host Windows 10 Pro.
  • Tried plugging the USB cable in the different USB ports of the host machine
  • Tried putting the Programmer in v3.3 (and jumpers on v3.3) and with v5 (with jumpers on v5)

All with the same results.

Just to clarify: I CANNOT program the PSoC device when I'm only powering the device with the MiniProg4, as shown in this photo:

PXL_20220218_171939012.jpg

But I CAN program it when I use the external power, as shown in this photo:

PXL_20220218_173641859.jpg

But I need to program it without using the external power.

Many thanks!!

0 Likes
BiBi_1928986
Level 7
Level 7
First comment on blog 500 replies posted 250 replies posted

Hi.

I would remove the jumper from J10 entirely.
Reason: Miniprog4 has a direct connection to Vddd.  If jumper J10 is installed, the Miniprog4 is back-driving the voltage regulators.  This may be 1 of the issues.

The other issue is, without voltage sourced from USB, or 9V battery, or Ext power supply, there is no Vdda supply.  To make Vdda, you'll need to install header J38, and place a jumper on it to connect Vdda to Vddd (position 2 to 3).  Then remove resistor R23 to disconnect Vdda from regulator output Vdda_p.

Caution: if PSoC is not powered with Vdda, PSoC can be burned out.  Vdda must always be equal or higher in voltage wrt all other Vd rails.  This is spec'd in datasheet.

One more idea.  When in PSoC Programmer, did you click on the toggle power icon (round button icon)?  I think you did because Programmer shows Power Status of ON.  Just checking.

My $0.02 worth.

0 Likes
Raj_C

Hi @ricardoquesada,

Can you please try to follow the methods mentioned below:

1. Use 3.3V as the source and try programming using the onboard debugger
  2. If you have MiniProg3 please, try to program using it

Please, let me know if you get success following the above methods.

Thank you

Best Regards

Raj Chaudhari

0 Likes

Thank you Raj. I won't be able to access my workstation this week. I'll ask a coworker if they can try that. 

Thanks!

0 Likes

Thanks Raj.

Just wanted to confirm you that MiniProg3 works Ok. Thanks.

Just to plan ahead: Is there a planned fix for the MiniProg4?

Many thanks!

0 Likes
Raj_C

Hi @ricardoquesada,

We will look into this issue and resolve it. We will update it as soon as we get the solution.

For now, we recommend using the MiniProg3 for programming.

Thank you

Best Regards

Raj Chaudhari

0 Likes
nd_swe
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted Welcome!

Hello Raj,

I have the exact same issue, and have tried both steps. Unfortunately, changing the source to 3.3v (or other values) did not fix the problem (this is with a MiniProg4).

With a MiniProg3 I am able to program a custom board with a similar chip, but I still can't program the dev board. 

Are there any other steps that can be taken?

-nd

0 Likes

FYI...

I'm able to program KIT-050 with Kitprog from KIT-059 (with SWD cable adaptor I made).  No external power used.  Power supplied by Kitprog.  I simply moved KIT-050 jumpers to what I mentioned earlier.

The key is to remove resistor R23 and install header J38 to connect Vddd to Vdda.  Then remove jumper J10.  Now KIT-050 is completely powered by Kitprog (or in your case Miniprog4).

Looking at Ricardo's pictures, the supplied SWD cable way tooooooo long.  SWD signals degrade quickly after cable is >10cm.

Good luck with your project.

0 Likes

Thanks for the tip BiBi.

If I can find a shorter cable, I'll try it. I'm using the one that comes bundled with the MiniProg4.

0 Likes