CY8CKIT-059 self powered

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
user_1570836
Level 4
Level 4
50 replies posted 25 replies posted 25 sign-ins

Hello,

I am writing a program for a project, which requires USB communication, and requires to be self-powered by external 5V supply. (Current requirement about 8 Amps.)

I have read that self-powered USB device needs VBUS monitoring, but when I look at cy8ckit-059 schematics, I don't see VBUS routed to any of the pins.

How should I monitor VBUS on this kit?

Thanks,

Stanislav

0 Likes
1 Solution

You can choose any option between "IO pin internal to the component" and "IO pin external to the component" for this kit.

The  difference between the two setups for VBUS monitoring is-

IO pin internal to the component-

After choosing this option, go to .cydwr and assign a port pin to VBUS and then externally connect VBUS to that port pin.

IO pin external to the component-

After choosing this option, assign a port pin to vbusdet input in Topdesign.cysch  to the component USBFS and go to .cydwr and assign a port pin to VBUS and then externally connect VBUS to that port pin.

For a PSoC 3/PSoC 5LP device, the VBUS monitoring pin can be directly connected to VBUS, if it is assigned to an SIO port. This configuration utilizes the hot swap capabilities of these pins.

It is recommended to connect the VBUS through the resistive network, when the IO pin external to the component option is selected. Main aim of such connection is to save pin from voltage picks on VBUS. An example schematic is shown in the USBFS datasheet at page#32

View solution in original post

11 Replies
AnkitaS_51
Employee
Employee
100 likes received 50 likes received 25 likes received

VBUS Monitoring is done via Kitprog on CY8CKIT-059

0 Likes

Sorry, I don't understand. I am talking about usb on device side, not kitprog side - the microUSB connector on the other end than kitprog.

0 Likes

Sorry, I got confused actually the vbusdet input provides the ability to connect the host VBUS for voltage monitoring.

> This input is visible if the VBUS Monitoring and IO pin external to the component parameters in the Advanced tab are selected.

> This input is hidden on the symbol and VBUS pin is available only in the .cydwr file if the VBUS Monitoring and IO pin internal to the component parameters in the Advanced tab are selected.

pastedImage_2.png

0 Likes

Yes, I know where these settings are. But I don't know correct configuration in this scenario. I have looked at the schematics for a clue, but I don't see vbus routed to any of psoc's pins. Is this kit designed for usb selfpowered? Or do I have to cut 5V input from my device's pcb and power kit board from usb?

0 Likes

You can choose any option between "IO pin internal to the component" and "IO pin external to the component" for this kit.

The  difference between the two setups for VBUS monitoring is-

IO pin internal to the component-

After choosing this option, go to .cydwr and assign a port pin to VBUS and then externally connect VBUS to that port pin.

IO pin external to the component-

After choosing this option, assign a port pin to vbusdet input in Topdesign.cysch  to the component USBFS and go to .cydwr and assign a port pin to VBUS and then externally connect VBUS to that port pin.

For a PSoC 3/PSoC 5LP device, the VBUS monitoring pin can be directly connected to VBUS, if it is assigned to an SIO port. This configuration utilizes the hot swap capabilities of these pins.

It is recommended to connect the VBUS through the resistive network, when the IO pin external to the component option is selected. Main aim of such connection is to save pin from voltage picks on VBUS. An example schematic is shown in the USBFS datasheet at page#32

Oh. So I need to connect VBUS to some pin. I have a few empty pins, and can solder a wire there. But where to solder the other end? There's no way I can solder directly to usb connector, I would short its pins.

EDIT: Unfortunately, entire P12, which has SIO capability, is already used. It is too late to move it to other port...PCBs are at home and soldered. What should I do now?

0 Likes

This kit doesn't has VBUS separate pin for external connection

0 Likes

Yes, I have noticed that the board isn't prepared for this scenario. What if I solder a wire to the fuse(F1)? Better before the fuse(marked as red point), or after the fuse(green point)?

usb-connector.png

Also, I do need to know what circuitry is required, if I don't have an unused SIO port?

0 Likes

Can connect before the fuse.But I wish to tell you we have not tested this setup.

As I have mentioned previously also-

So,you can implement this resistive structure for connection between GPIO ( Used for monitoring ) and VBUS.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I'd need some help as well to better understand this scenario.

So reading some of your documentation seems to imply two things ( again similar scenario I'd have the PSCO5 powered by some external 5V supply power ) :

1. It says " remove diode D1 to ensure VTARG is NOT supplied from programming kit to the device "

2. you need vbus monitoring

So in any case it means you MUST have some external I/O pin left that in some way you have to connect to VBUS, which I suppose "to do things better" you SHOULD remove D2 ( or it's not necessary once D1 is removed ? ) , connect that wire as the guy said but using the circuit at page 33 of the datasheet ?

I just made a try using "external pin" and the fitter assigned it to P12[2] .. which isn't  a SIO pin ? Is that correct ???

Do I need at this point that "page 33 circuit" or is not necessary to do anything at this point ??

Cheers.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi again,

actually after done that and noticing "hang on, those pins should be already in use" .. I manage to re-lock it to P15[4] that seems unused.

I also noted that has to be NOT an "analog" pin but a "digital input", is that correct ?

So basically you saying that once done that I should connect THAT pin to VBUS via that RC thing at page 33 and that should sort it all out properly ?

0 Likes