CY8CKIT-059 SWD interfacing with PSoC 4 MCU

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
NaJa_4363881
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 10 questions asked 5 replies posted

Hello,

I am currently working on the CY8CKIT-059 to interface with an external PSoC 4 MCU (CY8C4014SXI-421; 16-pin SOIC). But since the external PSoC 4 doesn't have an external reset pin (XRES) like other PSoC 4 packages but only has an internal Reset Pin on port P1_6, whereas the SWD interface from the Kit Prog board of the CY8CKIT-059 has a reset, I thought of checking whether using the SWDIO, SWDCLK and GND pins to interface the external PSoC 4 from Kit Prog can provide a complete interface to program the device. I am also using an external power supply to the PSoC 4 as it uses a 3.3 V and is not using the VTARG (5 V) pin on the Kit Prog board.

Please kindly advise me regarding this concern.

Thanks & Regards,

Nandhini Jayapandian

0 Likes
1 Solution
BiBi_1928986
Level 7
Level 7
First comment on blog 500 replies posted 250 replies posted

See the following for info to use Kitprog to program any PSoC without external reset pin.

Solution: Use Kitprog to Program PSoC 4000 without XRES pin

It also mentions programming at 3.3V and the simple mod to Kitprog to make it compatible at this voltage.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
BiBi_1928986
Level 7
Level 7
First comment on blog 500 replies posted 250 replies posted

See the following for info to use Kitprog to program any PSoC without external reset pin.

Solution: Use Kitprog to Program PSoC 4000 without XRES pin

It also mentions programming at 3.3V and the simple mod to Kitprog to make it compatible at this voltage.

0 Likes

Hello !

Thank you very much for guiding me to the right source. From reading the post I could see that I would have to include extra logic aprt from using CY8CKIT-059 to program the chips as the WLCSP package doesn't have XRES pin to establish an SWD interface between the KitProg and the PSoC 4 device. But since I have to preprogram more than 50 PSoC 4 16 - pin WLCSP chips  (CY8C4014FNI-421AT) before soldering it onto the target PCB, and also, i am not going to include the SWD option on the target prototype board, I looked up for additional resources online to see whether there is a header for the Ball Grid Array, that I can use to preprogram using the Kit Prog and then permanently solder it on to the target PCB. I also learnt from the support community that Cypress doesn't preprogram chips upon request from a customer.

It will be great if you will be able to advise me on possible options to preprogram a WLCSP PSoC 4 device (CY8C4014FNI-421AT) before soldering it onto a target device.

Wish you have a great day!

Thanks and Regards,

Nandhini Jayapandian

0 Likes

Cypress has a list of companies who sell programmers for their devices.  Maybe one of them offers a pre-program service.

https://www.cypress.com/products/device-programmer-system-partners

Good luck with your product.

0 Likes

Hello!

Thank you very much for sharing the link. I will then check with the mentioned list of companies regarding this concern.

Wish you have a great day!

Best Regards,

Nandhini Jayapandian

0 Likes