CY8CKIT-050 PSoC 5LP development kit can not communicate with pc

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Snow
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted 5 sign-ins First like received

Hi, 

I am trying to achieve communication between the development kit and PC, but the computer cannot detect the kit successfully. In the device manager, there exists 'an unknown application' and prompts the lack of 'drive'. 

I wonder what is the effective 'drive' that I missed and how can I read the signal with Creator 4.4.

I'm new in this kit and hope I make my question clear.

Thanks a lot for your kind help in advance!

Snow

0 Likes
1 Solution
AlenAn14
500 replies posted 100 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi @Snow ,

Are you trying to use the UART SCB component in PSoC Creator to send your data to PC, in which case you will have to use a UART converter where the Rx and tx pins from the board are to be connected to the UART converter.

For the DvkProg5 driver issue, can you try the following:

First right click on the unknown device in device manager and then

'Update drivers' >> 'Browse My Computer for drivers' >> 'Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer' >> 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers' >> manufacturer - 'Cypress' and Model - 'DvkProg'

AlenAn14_0-1639396091823.png

Then click next and give yes to the below dialog box:

AlenAn14_1-1639396128255.png

This will install the dvkProg5 driver.

Regards
Alen

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
AlenAn14

Hi @Snow ,

Can you let me know if you are able to program the PSoC 5 device successfully by using one of the code examples from PSoC Creator?

Also can you please let me know if you are observing the DVKProg5 parameter under 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers' ?

AlenAn14_0-1639370941898.png

Regards
Alen

0 Likes
Snow
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Alen,

I have programmed the device with the help of Miniprog3, but I cannot use Miniprog3 achieving communication.

DVKProg5 doesn't appear under 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers'. When connect the 'USB COM' port, there is no response in the computer . When I connect the 'on board programming USB' port ,  the 'device manger' shows 'unknow device'.

Snow_0-1639371686972.png

Regards

Snow

0 Likes
AlenAn14

Hi @Snow ,

The DVKProg5 driver will appear in device manager when you connect the USB mini B connector to J1 of the kit and the other end, USB type A connector to PC. If it does not appear, then you may not have the corresponding DVKProg5 driver installed. (NOTE: this connection cannot be used for UART protocol communication like which is available in Kitprog and is only for device programming)

I am afraid I am a bit confused, are you having difficulty in reprogramming the device with MiniProg 3 after programming it once or are you trying to communicate to your PSoC 5 device via a protocol like UART with the MiniProg3 connected to connector J3?

If you are trying to use a communication port like UART , you have to use a UART to USB converter to see the UART messages on PC or you can also use the UART pins on the 12 pin connector of MiniProg 4 to get the UART data. 

NOTE: The COM port will not appear when MiniProg 3 is connected to connector J3 as this is only for programming the PSoC 5 via SWD or JTAG and does not support COM.

Regards
Alen 

0 Likes
Snow
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Alen,

I also think that I didn't get the effective DVKProg5 drive installed. But actually I have installed the following software:

Snow_1-1639386850482.png

Snow_0-1639386841776.png

I am trying to use PC getting the data from the chip and then use Matlab to convert and process the data. Do you think the UART converter is necessary or are there any other methods can achieve that ?

0 Likes
AlenAn14

Hi @Snow ,

Are you trying to use the UART SCB component in PSoC Creator to send your data to PC, in which case you will have to use a UART converter where the Rx and tx pins from the board are to be connected to the UART converter.

For the DvkProg5 driver issue, can you try the following:

First right click on the unknown device in device manager and then

'Update drivers' >> 'Browse My Computer for drivers' >> 'Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer' >> 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers' >> manufacturer - 'Cypress' and Model - 'DvkProg'

AlenAn14_0-1639396091823.png

Then click next and give yes to the below dialog box:

AlenAn14_1-1639396128255.png

This will install the dvkProg5 driver.

Regards
Alen

0 Likes