CY8CKIT-043 only recognized after firmware update

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GuNo_288966
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 10 questions asked

I use a CY8CKIT-043 to read some sensor data and send it to a PC by USB.

After it has worked for several months, now the PC does not show a COM port when the CY8CKIT-043 is plugged in.

Also tried another PC, same result - no COM port.

I can upgrade the firmware by PSoC Programmer, then a COM port shows up. But when I then disconnect and re-connect the CY8CKIT-043, the COM port is gone again.

Is this a problem with Microsoft Windows or is the CY8CKIT broken?

Any ideas?

It would be terrible to lose the CY8CKIT because there is no replacement avaliable anywhere.

0 Likes
1 Solution
GuNo_288966
Level 4
Level 4

Dear BiBi,

I have added a 4.7k resistor between J7 pin 1 (VTARG) and pin 3 (RST). Now the board does not react at all to the RST push button on the snapoff part.

The kit is not separated.

I have now measured that the PSoC4200 part only gets about 1.1V. The snapoff part has 5.0V. Voltage loss across D1 is 0.22V. I could only measure with a multimeter so there may be oscillations that I did not see. I have no idea where the voltage is lost. I suspect that the PCB has suffered some physical damage to some copper traces although there is no damage visible.

The PSoC4200 part can be successfully programmed by a Miniprog4 with 5.0V over a pin header soldered to J3.

Thanks for your support. I will now put this PCB aside and go on with my last remaining spare part.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
BiBi_1928986
Level 7
Level 7
First comment on blog 500 replies posted 250 replies posted

Hello.

Just a guess..., you may have accidently pushed Kitprog switch and now Kitprog is in Mass Storage Programmer Mode.  Very easy to change Kitprog mode back to normal Debug/Programmer mode.

"Enter or Exit the Mass Storage Programmer Mode
Follow these steps to enter or exit the Mass Storage Programmer mode of KitProg:
1. Connect the kit to the PC. Ensure that the Status LED is on and not blinking. Refer to the section
8.1 KitProg Status LED Indication on page 45 for details on the Status LED indications.
2. Press and hold the reset switch (SW1) of the kit for more than 5 seconds. The Status LED of the
kit turns off when the KitProg changes configurations.
3. Release the reset switch on the kit after Status LED has turned off. The KitProg re-enumerates in
the alternate configuration. For example, the kit enumerates as Mass Storage Programmer if the
previous configuration is KitProg Programmer and Debugger.
Note: The KitProg remains in the selected mode until the user changes the mode manually using
the above steps."

Also see Kitprog LED status description in Kitprog manual.

0 Likes
Ekta_N
750 replies posted First like given 250 solutions authored

Hello @GuNo_288966 

Please try to follow the suggestion mentioned by @BiBi_1928986  and let us know if it works for you.

Also, you have mentioned that the COM port is gone but you are able to upgrade the firmware using the PSOC Programmer, could you please let me know how is the device appearing in the device manager. Is it appearing as shown in the image below:

Ekta_0-1650865710444.png

Please confirm if the status LED on the kit is blinking slowly?

In case it is, press the reset button for 5sec and the device should re-enumerate as shown below:

Ekta_1-1650865886944.png

Thanks and Regards
Ekta

0 Likes

Dear BiBi_1928986, dear Ekta,

thanks for looking into this problem.

BiBi:

When I connect the kit to the PC, the LED on the snap-off part is always blinking at 0.5Hz (measured, not 0.67Hz). When I press and hold the button on the snap-off part, Windows makes a sound, the LED is on for one second or so, then the situation is the same as before. No COM port, no mass storage. I can not get the LED permanently on.

Dear Ekta,

There is no disk drive and no COM port shown in the device manager. This does not change when I press and hold reset.

What I noticed:

Every time when I connect the device or when I press and hold the button on the snap-off part, PSoC programmer shows:

Connected at 08:59:40 | KitProg bootloader device is detected
| Please close all ports, then navigate to the Utilities tab and click the Upgrade Firmware button to recover Bridge

As I wrote before, after a firmware update the LED is permanently on, and a COM port is shown, but when the kit is disconnected and re-connected, the situation is as before (blinking at 0.5Hz, no COM port, no drive).

I disconnected and re-connected the kit many times, only one time it happened that the LED was permanently on after connect, and a COM port was present.

I have now found another CY8CKIT-043 (my last one...) that behaves normally as I know it. I will use that kit now. Nevertheless it would be interesting to know what happened to the other kit.

0 Likes

Hello GuNo.

You provided us with important information.

Since the Kitprog LED is always blinking every 0.5 seconds, this means Kitprog is always in bootloader mode.  This mode is normally entered when Kitprog detects SW3 being pressed while Kitprog is being powered up.  For some reason, Kitprog is entering this mode while SW3 is not being pressed.

It's possible the internal pull-up resistor on Kitprog port 12.4 has gone bad.  This pin is used as the Reset signal to the target PSoC on the 5 pin header J7.  As a suggestion, you can connect a resistor (4.7k Ohm to 10k Ohm) between J7 pin 3 and J7 pin 1.  This will restore the pull-up resistor needed on the Reset signal.  It will not harm anything.  Let us know if this solves the issue.

edit:
Another thought...,
If you physically detached Kitprog from target pcb and soldered wires to J7, there could be a solder short between Ground (J7 pin 2) and Reset (J7 pin 3) since these pins are beside each other.  Check for a solder short.

Can you tell us if Kitprog is attached or separated from target PSoC pcb.

0 Likes
GuNo_288966
Level 4
Level 4

Dear BiBi,

I have added a 4.7k resistor between J7 pin 1 (VTARG) and pin 3 (RST). Now the board does not react at all to the RST push button on the snapoff part.

The kit is not separated.

I have now measured that the PSoC4200 part only gets about 1.1V. The snapoff part has 5.0V. Voltage loss across D1 is 0.22V. I could only measure with a multimeter so there may be oscillations that I did not see. I have no idea where the voltage is lost. I suspect that the PCB has suffered some physical damage to some copper traces although there is no damage visible.

The PSoC4200 part can be successfully programmed by a Miniprog4 with 5.0V over a pin header soldered to J3.

Thanks for your support. I will now put this PCB aside and go on with my last remaining spare part.

0 Likes