CY8C21223 unwanted reset

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ALDE_1053476
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 10 questions asked 10 sign-ins

Hello,

I have a problem on a mature  DC motor controller that uses CY8C21223.

Randomly the PSoC resets when the electromechanic equipment driven by the board generates small ESD.

I think i need a layout review of the board.

Thanks,

Alfonso

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello Alfonso,

I cannot think of any other reason right now. The best course of action would be to monitor every signal on the connectors. If you find any noise on any of the signals, do kindly let me know. I can suggest based on your inputs.

You can also compare the signals in the connector in the lab, by using a parallel setup using the older drive mechanism.

Best regards,

Sampath Selvaraj

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
SampathS_11
250 sign-ins 250 solutions authored 5 questions asked

Hello Alfonso,

Kindly attach gerbers and also the schematic diagrams / block diagrams. Do kindly give us as much information as possible. Has this issue been noticed recently? Are the boards out in the field for long?

Best regards,

Sampath

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Hi Sampath,

The project controls an automated sun Curtain installed in train coaches.

We are in field with this board since 2013, with several thousands of pieces and no such malfunctioning has been ever detected.

This time we have benne asked to drive a different mechanic which sometimes generates small ESD shocks.

The Board resets on these ESD Events Even if disconnected from the motor.

Alfonso

0 Likes

Hello Alfonso,

I am unable to find any cause in the PCB layout. I would like to check the following:

- Is FR1 installed and not bypassed by R30 and R31?

- Is FR2 installed and not bypassed by R29 and R12?

- Is FR3 installed and not bypassed by R32 and R33?

- Is FR4 installed and not bypassed by R35 and R36?

- Is FR5 installed and not bypassed by R37 and R38?

The common mode chokes should stop ESD from getting inside the board and causing false resets or other issues.

Check if there is a dip in the input voltage supplied through Y1.

Best regards,

Sampath Selvaraj

0 Likes

Hi Sampath,

We have tested Both configurations (with and without Chokes). False Resets continue to happen.

We have also checked if supply voltage throuth Y1 is Clean, and it it-

The problem persist even wheh the system is supplied by a LAB Power Supply.

Alfonso

0 Likes

Hello Alfonso,

Are you sure that the reset in not caused by a Watchdog Timeout? If it is the watchdog, then we should be looking elsewhere.

Best regards,

Sampath Selvaraj

0 Likes

Hi Sampath,

We have done tests with and without WDT Enabled. No change in result.

We can Exclude WTD timeout Event.

Alfonso

0 Likes

Hello Alfonso,

I cannot think of any other reason right now. The best course of action would be to monitor every signal on the connectors. If you find any noise on any of the signals, do kindly let me know. I can suggest based on your inputs.

You can also compare the signals in the connector in the lab, by using a parallel setup using the older drive mechanism.

Best regards,

Sampath Selvaraj

0 Likes