AN60317: I2C Bootloader supported USB to I2C ports?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
KyTr_1955226
Level 6
Level 6
250 sign-ins 10 likes given 50 solutions authored

Hi there all,

I'm working on a project that is expandable via daisy chaining include a number of possible PSoC 5 MCUs (CY8C5467LTI-LP003) in the design (anywhere from 2 to a potential maximum of 8).  I'm considering options for updating firmware in the field, and an I2C bootloader seems the best choice as I can implement it right into my existing I2C bus connecting the PSoC 5 devices.

My question comes about as I was reading the http://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an60317-psoc-3-and-psoc-5lp-i2c-bootloader ​Application note and the only USB to I2C part shown to be supported in this document is the miniprog3.  This is an okay solution if we don't mind shipping out a miniprog3 to any customer that would need to field-upgrade their system, but I was hoping for something a little more integrated into the design.  I'd prefer to just put a USB to I2C IC on the PCB.

My question is: is there a "supported" list of USB to I2C parts that would be supported by the bootloader host other than the Miniprog3 that I could integrate onto the PCB?  Would something like http://www.cypress.com/part/cy7c65211-24ltxi  be recognized by the bootloader host?  Or is support limited to the miniprog3?

Thanks in advance for any info.

0 Likes
1 Solution
GeonaP_26
250 solutions authored 100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored

Hello Kyle,

Bootloader host supports USB Communication Device Class (CDC). Thus you can select any USB-I2C bridge with CDC support.

CY7C65211-24LTXI can only be configured as USB vendor device. Instead please use CY7C65211A-24LTXI which supports virtual COM port and USB vendor device (Table 1 of datasheet). Please refer to Bootloader Host can´t find USB to I2C Bridge on similar query.

Best Regards,

Geona Mary

View solution in original post

6 Replies