removing sensor buttons part from kit

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
LaKa_4300241
Level 3
Level 3
First like received First like given

Hi

I am using kit CY8CKIT-145-40xx with both buttons and sliders on sides.

I no need the button or slider sensors so i break the part of the button sensors and connected the sensor i designed.

The kit shows raw-count in tuner program according to connected sensor but the same kit shoes raw-count value 32764 (saturated) with BCP program.

I have tested with the kit that the button sensor is not removed, it shows good results that both tuner and BCP are having same results.

does breaking button sensor may cause kit in saturation??

can i use the the kit CY8CKIT-145-40XX for my own sensor design??

1 Solution
BragadeeshV
First question asked 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi LaKa_4300241​,

There is no problem in the way you are using. You can break out the sensor board and connect your capsense board to it.

Can you please send your PSoC Creator project and BCP commands for us to debug the issue.

Also share pictures of your connection between kit and sensors.

Note: It is recommended to use the Cypress kits for evaluation purpose only. For your final designs it is recommended to build your own boards.

Regards,

Bragadeesh

Regards,
Bragadeesh

View solution in original post

0 Likes
28 Replies
BragadeeshV
First question asked 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi LaKa_4300241​,

There is no problem in the way you are using. You can break out the sensor board and connect your capsense board to it.

Can you please send your PSoC Creator project and BCP commands for us to debug the issue.

Also share pictures of your connection between kit and sensors.

Note: It is recommended to use the Cypress kits for evaluation purpose only. For your final designs it is recommended to build your own boards.

Regards,

Bragadeesh

Regards,
Bragadeesh
0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Hi bragadeesh,

I have attached the files

0 Likes

Hi LaKa_4300241​,

Can you put a break point in the line  buffer.rawcount = (uint16)CapSense_dsRam.snsList.capteur[0u].raw[0u]; and let us know what value is shown? Looks like all the other values are being sent correctly.

Regards,

Bragadeesh

Regards,
Bragadeesh
0 Likes
lock attach

Hi

It was shown same values after placing break point.

0 Likes

Hi LaKa_4300241​,

Please enter debugging mode and put a break point to observe the data.

Regards,

Bragadeesh

Regards,
Bragadeesh
0 Likes

Hi

I entered debugging mode and kept a break point and have observed the data it was same no change

0 Likes
lock attach

Hi

Sorry for last reply now i followed you. I have kept in debug mode and the outputs are in pic attached.

0 Likes
lock attach

Hi

on debug mode and break point the result for memory is in pic.

0 Likes
lock attach

Hi

I attaches all parameters address in this mail.

0 Likes

Since the  ezi2cbuffer buffer is a local variable that is not initialized to any value, you might be seeing junk values in the variables.

Please do the following:

1. Declare the buffer as a global variable (declare above main) as follows:

ezi2cbuffer buffer;

main()

{

}

2. Enter debugging mode by pressing the Debug icon on the top.

3. Place a break point in CapSense_ScanAllWidgets() - Line 81

4. Right click on the variable buffer and choose Add watch

5. Click Run.

6. The program execution will stop at line 81.

7. Check what value the buffer.rawCount displays. Check if this is the expected rawCount that you see in Tuner.

8. Send us the screenshot of the variable showing all the values.

We are doing this to make sure that rawcount variable has the right value.

In the BCP can you set the bridge Speed to 400Khz (since you have used that in your project) by using the following command

[SPEED=400K] w 08 00 r 08 @0raw0 @1raw0 @0baseline @1baseline @0signal @1signal @0senseclk @1SenseClk  @0fingerThresh @1fingerThresh @0proxTouchTh @1proxTouchTh @idacMod @idacComp @noiseThresh @negNoiseThresh @hystersis @debounce @lowbslnreset  @Cp @senseClkSrc @modClock p

Can you please use a I2C protocol analyzer and see the activity in the bus.

You can also use an oscilloscope to see the bus activity.

Regards,

Bragadeesh

Regards,
Bragadeesh
0 Likes
lock attach

Hi

i have attached the screenshot

0 Likes

Please click the plus icon so that we can see that values

In the BCP can you set the bridge Speed to 400Khz (since you have used that in your project) by using the following command

[SPEED=400K] w 08 00 r 08 @0raw0 @1raw0 @0baseline @1baseline @0signal @1signal @0senseclk @1SenseClk  @0fingerThresh @1fingerThresh @0proxTouchTh @1proxTouchTh @idacMod @idacComp @noiseThresh @negNoiseThresh @hystersis @debounce @lowbslnreset  @Cp @senseClkSrc @modClock p

Can you please use a I2C protocol analyzer and see the activity in the bus.

You can also use an oscilloscope to see the bus activity.

Regards,
Bragadeesh
0 Likes

Hi Bargadeesh,

Can you please check the connections i attached in previous chat content. I have doubt with connections.

0 Likes

Hi LaKa_4300241​,

The proximity trace, ground trace and shield trace are going inside the same cable (might be twisted) and it is connected to the PSoC pin.

This is not recommended.

1. You can use flex connectors of small length between the main PCB and sensor PCB .

2. You can place the PSoC IC in the bottom layer of the sensor PCB (most common design).

Is your BCP issue resolved?

Regards,

Bragadeesh

Regards,
Bragadeesh
0 Likes

Hi

You mean the pins i used was rite in psoc kit to connect the shield and sensor? The BCP have the same problem.

0 Likes
lock attach

No there are no issues with the connections.

1. 1.4 to proximity

2. GNF to ground

3. 4.0 to shield

Do you face issues with the proximity sensing?

Can you test the following? Instead of sending the entire custom buffer that has all the CapSense parameters, can you just the capsense raw count data to the bcp and check if you still face the issue?

Please use the attached project to test.

Regards,
Bragadeesh
0 Likes

Hi

Thanks for file file but i have issues with the file.

please upload the project again. I see that some files are missing. I cant open topdesign and main.c.

0 Likes
lock attach

Please use this.

Regards,
Bragadeesh
0 Likes

Hi Bragadeesh,

I tried it it has the same issue.

I have a doubt which can take the exact behaviour for the kit to sensor BCP or tuner?

Because the BCP code you send me is working for non breakable kit that is the button sensor that is attached to the kit.

But it have strange result with my sensor.

what may be wrong?

0 Likes

Can you try connecting the sensor to some other available pin in the kit and check if you see the issue?

Regards,

Bragadeesh

Regards,
Bragadeesh
0 Likes

Hi

If i remove shield and connect it to other pin the kit is in saturation both tuner and BCP.

0 Likes

Hi Bragadeesh,

I have over come above issues. But The shield is sensing in my case now. I want shield to not sense any thing.

do you have any clue.

0 Likes

Hi LaKa_4300241​,

We are glad that your issue is resolved. Please let us know the changes you made so that other community members would benefit from it.

I believe your second issue is related to your question Sensor connections in kit. We have a Cypress engineer assigned to this thread who is actively looking for your response there. Please update the other thread.

Regards,

Bragadeesh

Regards,
Bragadeesh
0 Likes

Hi Bragadeesh

I have changed the pin connection of shield to 4(0) then it started working.

Thank you.

0 Likes
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9
Distributor - Marubun (Japan)
First comment on blog Beta tester First comment on KBA

Hi,

To add some to BragadeeshV-san's suggestion,

are you also connecting VDD and GND to the sensor pad?

I'm also removing these wings so that I can have more pins available,

but as far as I re-connect pin to pin with VDD and GND included to the board,

usually, it works.

moto

0 Likes

Hi motoo tanaka

I am connecting GND to sensor bord but not VDD.

Can i have pic of your connections so that i can verify it.

you mean that you connected GND and VDD together in cypress board but how can you connect VDD to sensor.

0 Likes

In your board it not required to connect sensor board to VDD (from the pic you shared).

General comments:

It is not recommended to use thick wires between the sensor and the PSoC pin. It is more susceptible to noise and your proximity might false trigger. The general practice is to use 7 mil trace between PSoC pin and CapSense sensor.

Regards,

Bragadeesh

Regards,
Bragadeesh
0 Likes
MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9
Distributor - Marubun (Japan)
First comment on blog Beta tester First comment on KBA

Hi,

I'm sorry for my poor description.

In my previous experience I had trouble when I forgot to reconnect VDD and GND between detached wings.

So when I need to use the wings I connect them something like below.

Note: The RED jumper wires are VDD and the BLACK jumper wires are GND.

And The WHITE, GREEN, BLUE wires are for signals.

IMG_4023 (1).JPG

About the VDD, it was required to light the LEDs in the wings, so may not be mandatory.

moto

0 Likes