problem programming CY8C4025AZI-S413 using miniprog3 + PSoC Programmer

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
BiBa_4647516
Level 1
Level 1

I'm unable to flash the CY8C4025AZI-S413 on a custom board with its SWD and XRES pins connected to a miniprog3. Using PSoC Programmer to try to flash the 4025 or read its checksum just results in this error message:

FAILED! Setting of IMO = 48 MHz failed!

The error sort of makes sense, since the 4025 has a max CPU clock frequency of 24MHz. But why is PSoC Programmer trying to set the CPU to a clock speed it doesn't support?

Had no trouble at all working with the cy8c4045azi-s413 prototyping kit (CY8CKIT-145-40XX), but that part supports 48MHz.

Using PSoC Programmer 3.28.7.4504

MiniProg3 version 2.05

Programming Mode: Reset

Verification: On

AutoDetection: On

Connector: 5p

Clock Speed: 1.6MHz

Protocol: SWD

Voltage: 3.3

I have also tried turning off AutoDetection and explicitly selecting CY8C4025AZI-S413 from the device list in PSoC Programmer. But it still failed with the same error.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi BiBa_4647516​,

We went through the schematic and here are our comments -

1. VCCD is connected to 3.3 V. This should not be the case. Can you please let me know the reason why this is done?

2. A 0.1 uF capacitor to ground and a 15 kohm pull up resistor needs to be connected to XRES pin.

3. Each power supply pin should have a 0.1 uF and 1 uF decoupling capacitor.

Apart from these you have connected a 10 nF capacitor to pin 4.3 which I think is the CMOD pin for your design. This will result in a lot of noise in the system. The recommended value is 2.2 nF for CMOD.

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Rakshith
250 likes received 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi BiBa_4647516​,

I think the hex file that you are trying to program into the device is of a project built for CY8C4045AZI-S413 and not CY8C4025AZI-S413. Can you please rebuild the project after setting the right MPN? You can use the device selector to do this.

However, if this is not the case, please share your project so that it will help in understanding the issue.

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Thanks for the reply!

That didn't help though. Also just attempting to checksum the device without selecting a .hex file didn't work. I've attached an empty project configured for the 4025. I've also attached a schematic for the board containing the 4025.

BTW, PSoC Creator also fails to connect with the same error, but there's also one additional piece of information. In the Select Debug Target... dialog instead of showing a particular PSoC4 device attached to the MiniProg3, it shows Cortex-M0+. When clicked, the info area reads "This device was recognized, but PSoC Creator does not support using it at this time."

0 Likes

Hi BiBa_4647516​,

We went through the schematic and here are our comments -

1. VCCD is connected to 3.3 V. This should not be the case. Can you please let me know the reason why this is done?

2. A 0.1 uF capacitor to ground and a 15 kohm pull up resistor needs to be connected to XRES pin.

3. Each power supply pin should have a 0.1 uF and 1 uF decoupling capacitor.

Apart from these you have connected a 10 nF capacitor to pin 4.3 which I think is the CMOD pin for your design. This will result in a lot of noise in the system. The recommended value is 2.2 nF for CMOD.

Thanks and Regards,

Rakshith M B

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B

Hello.

Adding to Rakshith's suggestions, Vccd should not be connected to any voltage rail when operating Vddd at 3.3V (Vddd is incorrectly shown in the datasheet Power illustration as Vdd).  Vccd should only be connected to a single 0.1uF capacitor (as shown in the datasheet).

If you disconnect Vccd from Vddd on your pcb, the 4025 might still function, but not for very long!

It's very likely this 4025 chip has been damaged (or is now unreliable).  Make the circuit corrections and install a new 4025 chip before proceeding any further.

Good luck with your project.