how to start with PSOC 4 MCU and creater?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
admin_hun_main
Level 1
Level 1
10 sign-ins 5 replies posted 5 sign-ins

So, I am a complete newbie in the Cypress MCU family or PSoC creator. I am just trying to get started with the first project. I am using CY8C4014SXI-421, I have browsed through some of the documents like

1.  Getting Started with CapSense
 2.  PSoC® 4 and PSoC 6 MCU CapSense® Design Guide
I have also browsed youtube for the PSoC creator tutorial and I followed the step to create my first project, but I am unable to get through. Youtube tutorial is from Cypress itself, Basic Capsense Implementation 

I am getting errors: undefined reference to `CapSense_CSD_Start'

It's a linking error but I am don't see any linking method in a document or video tutorial.

However there are further questions from my end, which may seem naive, but I would like to get it cleared,

1. I need to know what approach to follow for touch detection is it CSD or CSX, I have to design 3 button detection, the button diameter is 25-30mm.

2. what is the difference between CSD and CSX, as I read CSX that is a mutual cap, is better than CSD. but in my case should I use CSD or CSX, pin configuration for both will be different, also I have sensed the touch even when the finger is like 10cm away from the surface, so in that case, using CSD is the right approach or to use CSX does use CSD or CSX depends on this?

3. how to integrate Guard/Shield connection in PCB?

4. also what is an example project to follow to start with the touch button? I would like a recommendation for the Evaluation kit and sample project to help me out

5. also in PSOC creator I see 2 options, Capsense v7.0 and Capsense CSD v2.6, I don't understand the difference between 2, as I see in the video tutorial I just ahs Capsense, which one to use?

Also i am trying to run example Capsense_CSD_P4 but it is showing following error:

Pin guidance unavailable: Invalid IoId location specified on placement_force attribute "PORT(1,4)" on component/signal "\CapSense_CSD:Sns(0)\".

Pin guidance unavailable: Invalid IoId location specified on placement_force attribute "PORT(1,5)" on component/signal "\CapSense_CSD:Sns(1)\".

Pin guidance unavailable: Invalid IoId location specified on placement_force attribute "PORT(1,0)" on component/signal "\CapSense_CSD:Sns(3)\".

Invalid IoId location specified on placement_force attribute "PORT(1,4)" on component/signal "\CapSense_CSD:Sns(0)\".

0 Likes
1 Solution
Hari
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi @admin_hun_main 

ModusToolbox is the latest IDE that has support for the PSoC 6 and newer generation PSoC 4 devices. Only PSoC 4000S series devices are currently supported in ModusToolbox. The CY8C4014SXI-421 is not supported. 

I would also like to point out that you are using an older component (CapSense_CSD). I would recommend using the latest component CapSense V7 for newer designs. Note that this is not backwards compatible and may require some code changes. 

Best regards, 
Hari

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Hari

Hi @admin_hun_main 

1. CSX designs require a fishbone pattern with a Tx and an Rx electrode for best sensing. This would be difficult for large sensors, so, CSD would be a better choice here. 

2. For proximity detection, CSD is the only choice. Each CSD and CSX have their own advantages with CSD being better for simple designs and proximity, whereas, CSX is better when there are constraints on the number of GPIO.

3. For shield, you need to connect the hatch pattern surrounding the button to a GPIO in the controller. Later, you can select that GPIO to be the shield in component as well. Please refer CapSense design guide AN for details on implementation of shield. 

4. There are several code examples available for CapSense. You can take a look at the P4 CapSense One Button code example that shows getting started with CapSense as well as low power operation on CapSense. 

5. We highly recommend using the CapSense v7.0 as this is the latest CapSense component and has several bug fixes and features compared to CapSense_CSD component. 

Would it be possible to share the project that you are using so that we can debug the issue at our end as well?

Best regards, 
Hari

0 Likes
admin_hun_main
Level 1
Level 1
10 sign-ins 5 replies posted 5 sign-ins

@admin_hun_main wrote:

So, I am a complete newbie in the Cypress MCU family or PSoC creator. I am just trying to get started with the first project. I am using CY8C4014SXI-421, I have browsed through some of the documents like

1.  Getting Started with CapSense
 2.  PSoC® 4 and PSoC 6 MCU CapSense® Design Guide
I have also browsed youtube for the PSoC creator tutorial and I followed the step to create my first project, but I am unable to get through. Youtube tutorial is from Cypress itself, Basic Capsense Implementation 

I am getting errors: undefined reference to `CapSense_CSD_Start'

It's a linking error but I am don't see any linking method in a document or video tutorial.

However there are further questions from my end, which may seem naive, but I would like to get it cleared,

1. I need to know what approach to follow for touch detection is it CSD or CSX, I have to design 3 button detection, the button diameter is 25-30mm.

2. what is the difference between CSD and CSX, as I read CSX that is a mutual cap, is better than CSD. but in my case should I use CSD or CSX, pin configuration for both will be different, also I have sensed the touch even when the finger is like 10cm away from the surface, so in that case, using CSD is the right approach or to use CSX does use CSD or CSX depends on this?

3. how to integrate Guard/Shield connection in PCB?

4. also what is an example project to follow to start with the touch button? I would like a recommendation for the Evaluation kit and sample project to help me out

5. also in PSOC creator I see 2 options, Capsense v7.0 and Capsense CSD v2.6, I don't understand the difference between 2, as I see in the video tutorial I just ahs Capsense, which one to use?

Also i am trying to run example Capsense_CSD_P4 but it is showing following error:

Pin guidance unavailable: Invalid IoId location specified on placement_force attribute "PORT(1,4)" on component/signal "\CapSense_CSD:Sns(0)\".

Pin guidance unavailable: Invalid IoId location specified on placement_force attribute "PORT(1,5)" on component/signal "\CapSense_CSD:Sns(1)\".

Pin guidance unavailable: Invalid IoId location specified on placement_force attribute "PORT(1,0)" on component/signal "\CapSense_CSD:Sns(3)\".

Invalid IoId location specified on placement_force attribute "PORT(1,4)" on component/signal "\CapSense_CSD:Sns(0)\".

Thanks for responding , and clear all the doubts that i had
The name of code example is 

CapSense_CSD_P4_Design

This CapSense_CSD_P4_Design example project demonstrates operation of the CapSense CSD component with the PSoC Creator Software and PSoC 4 Pioneer Kit (CY8CKIT-042) or PSoC 4 S0 Kit (CY8CKIT-040) hardware. The component is configured with linear slider. Visual feedback of a Slider touch can be observed via LEDs.

i have one more question what is difference between modustool and psoc  creeator ? can i use both for programming Cy8C4014 ?

0 Likes
Hari

Hi @admin_hun_main 

ModusToolbox is the latest IDE that has support for the PSoC 6 and newer generation PSoC 4 devices. Only PSoC 4000S series devices are currently supported in ModusToolbox. The CY8C4014SXI-421 is not supported. 

I would also like to point out that you are using an older component (CapSense_CSD). I would recommend using the latest component CapSense V7 for newer designs. Note that this is not backwards compatible and may require some code changes. 

Best regards, 
Hari