cy8ckit-049-42xx

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
DoLo_351801
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 10 questions asked 10 sign-ins

i'm using an old cypress evaluation board cy8ckit-049-42xx. I can program it with the miniprog3 but I would like to program it with the kitprog2 that is attached to the kit board.

Psoc creator will not recognize the board when I plug the kitprog2 into the usb port and neither does psoc programmer.

I can plug the kitprog2 into the usb port and it makes a noise and shows up on device manager as usb serial port. the driver is cypress usbconsolewindowsdriver64.sys. I tried updating the driver but is says I have the latest one already installed.

What do I do to get the kitprog2 to be recognized by the programmer? Right now I'm just trying to program the board with the blinking led example.

0 Likes
1 Solution
BiBi_1928986
Level 7
Level 7
First comment on blog 500 replies posted 250 replies posted

Hello.

KIT-049-42xx does not use Kitprog.  The attached programmer is not even a programmer.  It is a USB-to-UART bridge.

To program KIT-049 using the UART bridge, the PSoC target needs to have a Bootloader pre-programmed into it.  I suspect you've already over-written the PSoC bootloader when you used Miniprog3.  But that's okay.  Miniprog3 can re-program the bootloader into the target.

You would then build your bootloadable project and program the target PSoC using Creator, Tools, Bootloader Host.  Follow the Blinking LED example in the Prototyping Guide precisely.  If you miss a step, it will not work.  The most important part is setting up the dependency between the bootloader and the bootloadable (your application).  If you follow the guide, you will be successful.

Rather than repeating everything here, I suggest you read the KIT-049-4xxx Prototyping Guide.
CY8CKIT-049-4xxx PSoC® 4 Prototyping Kit Guide (infineon.com)

The guide also tells you how to put the bootloader back into the KIT-049-42xx.

Good luck with your project.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
BiBi_1928986
Level 7
Level 7
First comment on blog 500 replies posted 250 replies posted

Hello.

KIT-049-42xx does not use Kitprog.  The attached programmer is not even a programmer.  It is a USB-to-UART bridge.

To program KIT-049 using the UART bridge, the PSoC target needs to have a Bootloader pre-programmed into it.  I suspect you've already over-written the PSoC bootloader when you used Miniprog3.  But that's okay.  Miniprog3 can re-program the bootloader into the target.

You would then build your bootloadable project and program the target PSoC using Creator, Tools, Bootloader Host.  Follow the Blinking LED example in the Prototyping Guide precisely.  If you miss a step, it will not work.  The most important part is setting up the dependency between the bootloader and the bootloadable (your application).  If you follow the guide, you will be successful.

Rather than repeating everything here, I suggest you read the KIT-049-4xxx Prototyping Guide.
CY8CKIT-049-4xxx PSoC® 4 Prototyping Kit Guide (infineon.com)

The guide also tells you how to put the bootloader back into the KIT-049-42xx.

Good luck with your project.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
DoLo_351801
Level 3
Level 3

I have attached the workspace archive. I have tried it several times with several changes. I think I followed the instructions but probably I have something wrong.

When running the bootloader host, I get the message: - Communication port reported error 'Unable to read data from the target device'.

or The flash row is not valid for the selected array.

Thanks

Doug

0 Likes

Hello Doug.

You'll get that error message 'Communication port reported error 'Unable to read data from the target device', because the Bootloader has not been programmed into the target PSoC.  The Bootloader has to be programmed into PSoC Flash before you can use Host Bootloader.

So, have a look at Appendix A.2 of the Prototyping Guide.  It describes how to use Minprog3 to program the Bootloader into target PSoC FLASH.

Then, follow the steps in the guide to program your Bootloadable application.

Sorry I couldn't open the project archive since I don't use Creator 4.4 (I use 4.2).  However, I can still look at individual text files and things look good so far.

You're really close to getting it to work.

BTW, if you've snapped off the USB-UART bridge pcb, you need to re-connect the 4 signals to the target PSoC pcb for proper USB-UART operation.  The wires connecting the pcb's should be kept short length (5cm-10cm).  The same can be said for connecting Miniprog3 to target PSoC pcb, keep the wires short as possible.

0 Likes
DoLo_351801
Level 3
Level 3

I solved part of the issue. The odd thing is that I am able to get the SW I have been working on to load with the bootloader but I cannot get the simple Blinking LED to load. This was done using a new board that hadn't been loaded with the miniprog, but it is the same board that won't load the blinking led.

I simply added the bootloadable component to my schematic, added the dependencies for the boot loader, pushed the load button and it loaded and it runs fine. The problem is I cannot tell why the blinkin led won't load.

0 Likes

Hi.

That's some good progress.  You have a project that will boot load, just not the blinking LED project.

Hmmmm., I wonder if you have the right project setting .  The choices are Normal (no bootloader) and Bootloadable.  Project tab, Build Settings..., Application Type.

Another possibility is, both the bootloader and bootloadable should have the same compile option where it can be Debug or Release.

Did you use the cywdr window to set the port pin to the LED pin?  I suspect you did.

0 Likes