component interchangeability

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Astronix
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted 10 sign-ins 5 questions asked

I'm wondering how interchangeable the microcontroller components are once I've already built a software binary?

Specifically, I've built my application targeting CY8C4248LQI-BL583. I assume I can load the same binary to CY8C4248LQQ-BL583 with no problem, but can I load it to CY8C4248LQI-BL543 without issue (assuming I am not using the extra peripherals that the -BL543 does not have)? What about CY8C4247LQI-BL583 if I'm only using half of the flash memory?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Hari
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi @Astronix 

It is always recommended to change the device in the project and create the hex file. Updating the device is also an easy step in PSoC Creator - Go to Project > Device selector and choose the right MPN. 

A hex file generated for 4248 will not be compatible for 4247 as the hex organization will account for the extra flash rows. 

Although the flash contents would be same across the devices, the hex file has a silicon ID check which it uses to verify the device being programmed. This step will fail if we try to program a hex file on a mismatched device.

Best regards, 
Hari

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Hari

Hi @Astronix 

It is always recommended to change the device in the project and create the hex file. Updating the device is also an easy step in PSoC Creator - Go to Project > Device selector and choose the right MPN. 

A hex file generated for 4248 will not be compatible for 4247 as the hex organization will account for the extra flash rows. 

Although the flash contents would be same across the devices, the hex file has a silicon ID check which it uses to verify the device being programmed. This step will fail if we try to program a hex file on a mismatched device.

Best regards, 
Hari

0 Likes
Astronix
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted 10 sign-ins 5 questions asked

Understood regarding the 4247.

I'm worried about supply chain problems given that the chip I'm using in my product (CY8C4248LQI-BL583) is out of stock everywhere (except at distributors that appear to be scalping for exorbitant prices). I think our current inventory will last for several more months, but I'm trying to evaluate options if I'm not able to get more chips before we run out. 

So it sounds like, at least in theory, I could use a CY8C4248LQI-BL543 without having to have my assembly house worry about which chip they have during programming and without having to have my OTA software updates worry about it either? Is there a good way to verify this? It seems there is no evaluation module that features the -543 (like the CY8CKIT-143A).

0 Likes
Hari

Hi @Astronix 

For production programming, you would still need a separate hex file for each device. Programming an incompatible part is not supported.

You can easily get the hex files by changing the device from PSoC Creator and rebuilding the projects. However, you would still need the assembly house to check the chip they are programming and choose the right MPN. 

Best regards, 
Hari

0 Likes