Which available ports on the -044 kit can be used for an Hitachi Standard LCD display

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
SuSc_283911
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted 5 questions asked First reply posted

I'm on a quest to replicate the "Hello PSoC" PSoC1 project with the PSoC4 - CY8CKIT 044 kit.

IMO, the biggest problem is finding seven pins of a single port available somewhere on the headers so that the LCD_Char component can be used.  

I've used the schematics and pin-maps to assist and found that the -042 kit has P0_0 thru P0_7 available across the J2, J3, and J4 headers and have successfully displayed the message on the LCD scavenged from a Cy3210 PSoC 1 kit.  I believe that the full set of ports 1 and 2 are also available on the headers.

When I do the same mapping for the -044 kit, I only find that port 2 has 6 consecutive pins available on the headers. 

I'd would appreciate a confirmation of this from another -044 user.  I've attached my pin-map spread sheet.  The pin maps and schematic are, of course, available in the kit guide.

As a total aside -- I'm a bit flummoxed by the distribution of consecutive PSoC port pins across multiple headers in order to have arduino compatibility.  I'm not an arduino user (my first experience with microcontrollers was the 68HC11, my second was PSoC 1).  Is this capability really that important?

Thanks for any assistance. 

0 Likes
1 Solution
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

I think you have run into the Arduino shield issues.  For this issue I like this 6 pin LCD library that you can use any port or pin. And it uses less resources than the other LCD components.  I set it up for your 044 kit. The library for this component is included in the zip file.  I am running the latest Psoc Creator 4.0 service pack 1.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8

I think you have run into the Arduino shield issues.  For this issue I like this 6 pin LCD library that you can use any port or pin. And it uses less resources than the other LCD components.  I set it up for your 044 kit. The library for this component is included in the zip file.  I am running the latest Psoc Creator 4.0 service pack 1.

0 Likes
rola_264706
Level 8
Level 8

Here is another version of the program with Arduino pin out.

0 Likes
SuSc_283911
Level 1
Level 1

Hi --

Sorry to be so ignorant, but when I open the non-arduino demo, it shows that it cannot find the two components on the schematic, "external_LCD" and "chart...".  (Sorry, I may not have the names exactly right).

Can you direct me to the resources I can use to figure out how to make this work?

Thanx,  SQ

0 Likes
SuSc_283911
Level 1
Level 1

Please summarize what you're doing in this project to help me understand what's going on.  Thanx.

0 Likes