What does the FAIL alert at the bottom of PSoC Programmer mean?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
haljonat
Level 1
Level 1
First like received 5 replies posted First question asked

I have a MiniProg3, trying to get it to connect to PSoC Creator. When I first pulled it out of the box and plugged it in, I followed the steps in the MiniProg3 Program and Debug Guide . PSoC Creator said "Firmware is not fully loaded and device cannot be detected. Please Reconnect." I went through the troubleshooting steps on this forum post, including the Troubleshooting PSoC-3-4-5LP Programming Debugging Issues document, but nothing changed.  The message was the same whether the MiniProg3 is connected to the target board or not.

Finally I replaced the included USB cable with another one I had on hand. It started working!

For a few days anyway. But now it doesn't work with any of my USB cables. I tried unplugging all the other USB devices and that didn't help. The behavior is the same on my work computer and my home computer.

Now when I try to program in PSoC Creator, it goes to the select target screen and hangs for a long time (see screenshot).

In PSoC Programmer, it says it connects and I get the blue dot by the MiniProg3 serial number, but there is a red FAIL in the bottom right hand corner of the screen.

Does that mean that my MiniProg3 needs replaced? Or are there some other troubleshooting ideas I can try?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Rakshith
250 likes received 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi @haljonat

The FAIL message in PSoC Programmer is because PSoC Programmer is not able to detect a valid hex file. Can you select the correct hex file and then try programming the device? The blue dot next to MiniProg3 indicates that the tool is successfully connected to the MiniProg3 device. 

In PSoC Creator, the Select Debug Target window generally hangs when the programmer options are not set correctly. Can you please confirm the settings? You can find the settings in Tools > Options > Program/Debug > Port Configuration > MiniProg3.

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Rakshith
250 likes received 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi @haljonat

The FAIL message in PSoC Programmer is because PSoC Programmer is not able to detect a valid hex file. Can you select the correct hex file and then try programming the device? The blue dot next to MiniProg3 indicates that the tool is successfully connected to the MiniProg3 device. 

In PSoC Creator, the Select Debug Target window generally hangs when the programmer options are not set correctly. Can you please confirm the settings? You can find the settings in Tools > Options > Program/Debug > Port Configuration > MiniProg3.

Thanks and Regards,
Rakshith M B
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Thank you so much for the quick response! here are my settings. When I loaded a HEX file, the box at the bottom changed to PASS. I also successfully programmed the target board! Thank you so much!

I just need to figure out why it isnt working in PSoC Creator, maybe because the clock speed is too slow? That's what I will try next.

0 Likes

Thank you so much for your quick reply!

I loaded a hex file into PSoC Programmer, and sure enough the FAIL message went away and changed to PASS. Then I tried downloading and it successfully programmed my target board! Hooray! So I think my target board, the MiniProg3 and the USB connection are all fine, and the issue lies in some difference in settings between PSoC Programmer and PSoC Creator.

Here are my settings for PSoC Creator: 

Port Configuration MiniProg3.PNG

Here are my settings for PSoC Programmer and showing the PASS indicator:

PSOC Programmer PASS.PNG

   

0 Likes

I switched the programming frequency in PSoC Creator to 1.5 MHz and suddenly everything is working great. I can program and download and nothing hangs. Somehow it must have gotten changed to 0.2 MHz and that was causing the issue. My incorrect interpretation of all the error messages and indicators was causing me to look in the wrong place, so thanks for clarifying that so the real issue became clear. Thank you so much! 

MotooTanaka
Level 9
Level 9
Distributor - Marubun (Japan)
First comment on blog Beta tester First comment on KBA

Hi,

I tried with my MiniProg3.

When I loaded a project from PSoC Creator and

selected "Debug > Select Debug Target..."

Select Debug Target window was just like yours.

001-non-connected.JPG

Then I connected MiniProg3 to my CY8CKIT-044 which is not powered from the USB(KitProg).

And I selected [ Port Setting ] button

002-port-setting.JPG

I changed "Power" from "External" to "3.3V"

003-port-setting2.JPG

Then I closed this window by selecting [ OK ]

004-port-acquired.JPG

Now I could see the device CY8C4247AZI-M485 on my CY8CKIT-044.

From the test above, I  imagine that your case could be

(1) The connection between MiniProg3 and your board is not complete

(2)  Your board is not powered and "Power" is set to "External"

(3) Either your board or the device on your board is damaged.

moto

Thank you so much for the quick and thorough response!

I see. I was confused because I thought "Port Acquire" and "Failed to acquire port" were referring to the COM Port, so the issue lie between my PC and the MiniProg3. I'm now understanding that those messages may also refer to an issue between the MiniProg3 and the target board.

I have the C8CKIT-042-BLE  Pioneer Kit, which unfortunately doesn't have pins to connect the MiniProg3. There are pads I could solder to so I might try that a a last resort.

However I made up a new target board. PSoC Creator showed the screen just like your (#4) screenshot and I was able to push OK/Connect. My Port settings are the same as yours except I set to 5V and external power, which I verified that the target board has 5V power on the right pins. Also my clock speed is set to 0.2 MHz. But then when I tried to download it failed "Error: dbg.M0023: There was an error while programming the device: failed to reacquire the device." Since then I haven't been able to reacquire. 

So I think it is something with the target board for sure. I've checked all the connections to the MiniProg3 and I have 5V, GND, no obvious short circuits, no noise on clock or data pine, and verified the pcb traces to the CYBLE-012011, and verified that the CYBLE-012011 has 5V power on pins 15 and 29 and ground connection on pins 25-28. So I'm a little stumped what the issue is with the target board. But overall I'm un-stuck.

0 Likes