What ECO is recommended for PSoC 4100Smax?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
NXTY_Tatebayasi
Level 5
Level 5
Distributor - NEXTY (Japan)
50 questions asked 25 likes received 250 sign-ins

Hi, Community

We are considering the recommended ECO for PSoC 4100Smax.
The ECO is used as the overall system clock and as the master clock for I2S.
I was able to find some from the CY8CKIT-041S manual UserManual  and the manual on crystals here.  AN95089 

Are the following the key points for device selection?

1.Equivalent series resistance (ESR):The crystal ESR should be ≤ 60 Ω.

2. Drive level: A crystal whose maximum drive-level specification is ≥ 100 µW (meaning that it can sustain at least 100 µW) .

3. Load Capacitance: That the chosen crystal have an 8-pF load capacitance.

4. Pullability: Pullability should be low.

When producing boards for automotive applications, what range of variation in ppm over the temperature range of the device should be set?

Also, if you have a crystal that is matched with PSoC4100Smax, please let me know the model.

Best Regards,

Chihiro Tatebayashi

1 Solution

Hi @NXTY_Tatebayasi ,

Yes, the ECS-240-8-30B-CKM component manufactured by ECS can be used as crystal for the CY8CKIT-041S-MAX Kit. However, it is advised to make necessary modifications as specified in the Hardware section of the kit guide under the 3.3 CY8CKIT-041S-MAX Kit rework instructions. These instructions will provide you with the necessary information to modify the kit and ensure that it works properly with ECS part.

Best regards,
Rakesh

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Rakesh_Patrudu
25 solutions authored 5 likes given 50 replies posted

Hi @NXTY_Tatebayasi ,

Please refer to the 3.3 CY8CKIT-041S-MAX Kit rework from the Hardware section in CY8CKIT-041S-MAX kit guide, there it mentions the Part numbers which can be used. Please find the ECS Inc manufacturer part’s ppm variation with temperature in the Crystal Analysis for ECO section from the following App Note.

Best regards,
Rakesh

0 Likes
NXTY_Tatebayasi
Level 5
Level 5

Hi, @Rakesh_Patrudu 

Thank you for your response.
Is it safe to assume that ECS's ECS-240-8-30B-CKM is suitable for use with the PSoC4100S MAX device?
After reviewing the ECS-240-8-30B-CKM datasheet, it is clear to me that this meets the ECO selection criteria I described in the first topic.

Best Regards, 

Chihiro Tatebayashi 

0 Likes

Hi @NXTY_Tatebayasi ,

Yes, the ECS-240-8-30B-CKM component manufactured by ECS can be used as crystal for the CY8CKIT-041S-MAX Kit. However, it is advised to make necessary modifications as specified in the Hardware section of the kit guide under the 3.3 CY8CKIT-041S-MAX Kit rework instructions. These instructions will provide you with the necessary information to modify the kit and ensure that it works properly with ECS part.

Best regards,
Rakesh

NXTY_Tatebayasi
Level 5
Level 5

Hi, @Rakesh_Patrudu 

Thank you for the instruction.
I understood that when using ECO, R10 and R9 must be removed and open, and Y1, C13, and C7 must be implemented as load instead.
Am I correct in my understanding that the unmounted R62 and R58 are to be implemented as resistors to limit against devices with too high DL?
On the other hand, how should I deal with the case where I have to use an ECO with an ESR of 60 ohms or higher?

NXTY_Tatebayasi_0-1679646461314.png

Best Regards,

Chihiro Tatebayashi

0 Likes

Hi @NXTY_Tatebayasi ,

To establish a connection with an ECO, it is necessary to remove the R9 and R10 resistors, as well as unmount the R58 and R62 resistors on the board. This is because these 0-ohm resistors serve the purpose of switching between the UART and GPIO functionalities of the P0_6 and P0_7 pins.

The ECS part ECS-240-8-30B-CKM has the ESR of 30 ohm, if you are looking for the ESR value higher than 60 ohm then you can use ECS-100-8-30B-CKM it has the Max ESR of 80 ohm.

Best regards,
Rakesh

NXTY_Tatebayasi
Level 5
Level 5

Hi, @Rakesh_Patrudu 

Thanks for the advice.
This is a request from one of our clients, if you have the following data, could you please give it to us?

For negative resistance between CY8CKIT-041S-MAX Kit and ECS-240-8-30B (or CS-100-8-30B-CKM).

The client wants to know if the oscillation margin in the above combination is sufficient.
For example, whether the oscillation margin is more than 5 times the ESR.

Best Regards,
Chihiro Tatebayashi

0 Likes
Rakesh_Patrudu
25 solutions authored 5 likes given 50 replies posted

Hi @NXTY_Tatebayasi ,

Yes, it is better to keep 5 times or more as Oscillation Margin.

Best regards,
Rakesh

NXTY_Tatebayasi
Level 5
Level 5

Hi, @Rakesh_Patrudu 

Thank you for your reply!
We may have another question about ECO, but I understand about your post here.

Best Regards,

Chihiro Tatebayashi