Using Analog MUXs with SAR ADC in PSOC 4 BLE

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
manusharian
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 10 questions asked

Hello,

I am currently trying to use 12 pins as analog inputs of a PSOC 4 BLE pioneer board and I am not very sure this is possible. I am only able to route 6 Analog pins using the port P3[0-5], since the P3[6-7] are used for an RGB on the pioneer board. I will need 6 more pins and I was trying to use some Analog MUXs in order to accomplish this and I was also trying to use P2[0-5] for this. The problem is I am not able to route the analog pins. Basically I was wiring the external pins to input of a analog mux and the output of it to one input of the SAR ADC but this error always appear: Net "\ADC:muxout_plus\" is connected to analog mux "AMuxSeq_1" and analog mux "\ADC:cy_psoc4_sarmux_8\_CYAMUXSIDE_A", but it may connect to only one analog mux when it is an analog mux common connection.

As a information from PSOC: An analog mux common connection may not be connected to another analog mux. We expect to remove this limitation in a future release. To work around this limitation, try cloning or buffering the common signal.

So my question for the more experimented people here: Is there a way to use 12 analog pins and if yes where I can find more information? Also if someone know how to clone or buffering the common signal I will appreaciate the information.

Thanks a lot!

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Try it the way like in the attached project.

The EOS (End Of Sampling) interrupt should be used to switch the AMUX to the next channel

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
lock attach
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Try it the way like in the attached project.

The EOS (End Of Sampling) interrupt should be used to switch the AMUX to the next channel

Bob

0 Likes
lock attach
manusharian
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Bob,

Thanks for your answer but the example you gave me did not help me a lot. I will explain here what I need and also attached a modified project maybe you can have a look at what I want to achieve.

I have some sensors that uses 2 ADC channel/sensor therefore I need to convert one pair of signals at once. I have 6 sensors and therefore I will need an ADC SAR with 6 inputs in order to convert 3 sensors outputs at a time. I put 6 MUXs with 2 inputs and link the sensors in such a way that 3 will be converted once, then I will switch the MUXs to second input, convert them again and so one.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

As you already experienced, your schematic will not work. This is due to the internal routing capabilities. You an use my suggestion from the last archive I posed. This will convert all 12 input channels. When the cycle is completed you can pick the required sensor values for the current state and ignore the other .

Bob

0 Likes

Hi Bob,

I am having the same problem, so, i took the example that you shared and tried to generate the application for this, but i still get the same error.

Please help.

Thank you,

Regards,

Nambi

0 Likes
manusharian
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Bob,

I think this is the only option in order to have more than 6 pins converted. This is not very nice since the 4200 BLE series should be able to use 16 channels but on the pioneer I can only use 6, because some pins are link to the RGB LED and some are not exposed on board. On top of this the routing rules limit this even further. It would be great if this can change in the future. You should not be limited if you are not using the OP amps of the chip but maybe this will be changed.

Thanks a lot!

0 Likes
Mrinal
Level 4
Level 4
First solution authored 50 replies posted 25 replies posted

Hi

Using more than 8 ADC channels has always been a pain. I generally use a hardware mux/sequencer to route more than 8 channels. Perhaps you could try this... it compiles successfully.

Mrinal_0-1649486990642.png

0 Likes
junambi
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted Welcome!

Thank you Mrinal,

This worked.

Regards,

Nambi

0 Likes