Unable to program CY8C4014SXI-421

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
create_sys
Level 1
Level 1
10 sign-ins 5 replies posted 5 questions asked

Hi,

I am using CY8C4014SXI-421 [16 PIN SOIC]. The IC does not come up with an XRES pin. I have kept programing header having SWD [P3.0], CLK [P3.1], VDD, GND.  

I am using KitProg that comes readily with CY8CKIT-043. I have updated the mini prog firmware. After the upgrade, it shows KirProg Version 2.21. Since the IC does not support XRES pin, I have set up RESET mode as POWER CYCLE in debug/programmer setting.  Under KitProg2 voltage, the source setting is kept at 3.3V. Acquire mode is RESET.

Below wiring of KitProg to CY8C4014SXI-421

SWD [P3.0]    -> SWDIO

CLK [P3.1]      -> SWDCLK

VDD                   -> VTARGET

GND                  -> GND

Unconnected ->RST

With the above setup, I am unable to program the MCU. However, when a brand new MCU is soldered it gets programmed somehow. But after 1st successful flashing, the  MCU never gets detected again. It shows an unknown device.

I have attached reference images for quick understanding.

KitProg.png

Port Config.png

KitProg2 Setting.png

MCU not detecting.png

  

0 Likes
1 Solution
BiBi_1928986
Level 7
Level 7
First comment on blog 500 replies posted 250 replies posted

Hello.

You are close to getting PSoC 4000 programmed.  What you are missing is how to use the Power Cycle programming method.

Read this link on how to do it.
Solution: Use Kitprog to Program PSoC 4000 without... - Cypress Developer Community

You can use PSoC Creator to program the PSoC target FLASH through the Debug menu.
Or,
Use PSoC Programmer software to program target PSoC.

BTW, make sure you can read 1.8V on Vccd pin (as shown in datasheet diagram Power section).  If you connected Vccd by mistake to Vdd, then the device will be unreliable and will fail within a few weeks time.  It needs to be replaced and the circuit schematic corrected.  Vccd should only be connected to a 0.1uF capacitor when PSoC Vdd is powered from 3.3V or 5V.

Another good read is KBA91258:
https://community.cypress.com/docs/DOC-9361
It discusses not putting a pull-down on P1.6 or else PSoC won't come out of RESET state.

Good luck with your project.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
BiBi_1928986
Level 7
Level 7
First comment on blog 500 replies posted 250 replies posted

Hello.

You are close to getting PSoC 4000 programmed.  What you are missing is how to use the Power Cycle programming method.

Read this link on how to do it.
Solution: Use Kitprog to Program PSoC 4000 without... - Cypress Developer Community

You can use PSoC Creator to program the PSoC target FLASH through the Debug menu.
Or,
Use PSoC Programmer software to program target PSoC.

BTW, make sure you can read 1.8V on Vccd pin (as shown in datasheet diagram Power section).  If you connected Vccd by mistake to Vdd, then the device will be unreliable and will fail within a few weeks time.  It needs to be replaced and the circuit schematic corrected.  Vccd should only be connected to a 0.1uF capacitor when PSoC Vdd is powered from 3.3V or 5V.

Another good read is KBA91258:
https://community.cypress.com/docs/DOC-9361
It discusses not putting a pull-down on P1.6 or else PSoC won't come out of RESET state.

Good luck with your project.

0 Likes

Hello Bibi_1928986,

We have added 74HC004 as an interface between PSOC & KitProg. And it worked.

Thanks.

0 Likes