USB-I2C interface not showing up in Bridge Control Panel

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
MercurialMoon
Level 1
Level 1
First solution authored 5 replies posted 5 sign-ins

Hi,

I have a PSOC4000S kit, the CY8CKIT-145-40XX.

And have PSOC creator, programmer and bridge control panel installed on a Win7 x64 machine.

I downloaded the sample program, "Infineon-CY8CKIT-145_Code_Examples-Software-v01_00-EN"

and built and programmed the "CE210709_CapSense_Linear_Slider_and_Buttons" project into the kit with PSOC Creator and PSOC Programmer.

However I cannot connect to the Capsense Tuner via the EZI2C interface.

To debug it i fired up Bridge control panel and i can see only 2 entries meant for UART over there

COM3(This seems to be the kit) and COM1.

There is no entry for I2C  in the list, is there any special driver I need to install to get the USB-I2C bridge to function?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello @AlenAn14

I found a solution and applied it, the USB-I2C bridge now shows up in Bridge control panel.

The solution is at the following link  https://community.silabs.com/s/article/manually-install-winusb-driver-on-windows-7?language=en_US

I am pasting the solution here in case the link breaks

Manually Install WinUsb Driver on Windows 7

Win7 ships with the correct 'winusb.sys' file, but is missing an updated '.inf' file that associates the driver with "usb\ms_comp_winusb" devices. Normally if the USB device supports Microsoft OS

Jul 9, 2021Knowledge
Details

Win7 ships with the correct 'winusb.sys' file, but is missing an updated '.inf' file that associates the driver with "usb\ms_comp_winusb" devices. Normally if the USB device supports Microsoft OS descriptors, then it will allow Windows to automatically install the WinUSB driver. This mechanism is supported "in-box" for Win8 and newer. For Win7 the mechanism is supported through Windows update. Depending on the update policy for the Win7 machine, the appropriate driver may or may not be already available on the machine. If it is not already on the machine, user can use the following manual procedure to install the driver if necessary.

1. Search for "windows phone winusb" at [Microsoft®Update Catalog|https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx].
  2. Download "Windows Phone - Other hardware - WinUsb Device".
  3. Extract the contents of the downloaded '.cab' file to a temporary folder.
  4. In device manager select "Update driver software ..." --> "Browse my computer for driver software".

5. Navigate to the temporary folder with the downloaded driver and complete the installation.

This procedure only needs to be done once.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
AlenAn14
500 replies posted 100 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi @MercurialMoon 

Can you please let me know the following to help you better:

1] Are you able to observe the KitProg/<serial Number> option when you connect and disconnect the kit from your PC?

AlenAn14_0-1650163788014.png

2] If no, then are you observing the same on both the Kits you have?

3] Can you let me know the version of PSoC Creator you have installed and the KitProg version that appears in the bridge control panel?

Warm Regards
Alen

0 Likes

Hello @AlenAn14 

1) Screen shot of Bridge control panel attached, it only shows COM3 port for the attached kit. I2C option not available.

Bridge Control Panel.PNG

2.  I have only 1 kit, CY8CKIT-145-40XX.

3. PSoc Creator version 4.4(4.4.0.80), kitprog version is not seen in Bridge control panel.

But i can see it in PSoC programmer.

PSoC Programmer.png

 Regards,

0 Likes

Hi @MercurialMoon ,

Can you please update the KitProg firmware from the 'Utilities' tab in PSoC Programmer:

Untitled.png

After the upgrade (to KitProg v2.21), try once again to see if you are able to see the KitProg option in Bridge Control panel.

Can also please let me know if you are observing the KitProg tag under 'Ports' and 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers' as shown below?

AlenAn14_0-1650182646507.png

Warm Regards
Alen

0 Likes

@AlenAn14 

No significant change after doing a update  from the Utilities tab.

4.PNG

This is what i see in device manager

3_1.png

 Regards,

0 Likes

Hi @MercurialMoon ,

The 'KitProg3 Bridge' should appear under 'Universal Serial Bus Devices' instead of 'Other Devices' for it to be recognized in the bridge control panel as below:

AlenAn14_0-1650253635308.png

In the device manager, can you right click on 'KitProg3 Bridge' and click on 'Properties' and then click on 'Update Driver' >> 'Browse my computer for drivers' >> 'Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer'. Here you will see the below:

AlenAn14_1-1650253993057.png

Select 'WinUsb Device' and then click 'Next'.

Let me know if this works.

Warm Regards
Alen

0 Likes

@AlenAn14 

I right clicked an the , Kitprog3 Bridge (with exclamation mark) and did update driver, the followed the instructions as you wrote in your reply, But there is no entry of "WinUSB Device" on my PC.

I also tried manually searching for winusb.inf and tried to select it as the driver but it doesn't work that way.

0 Likes

Hi @MercurialMoon ,

I believe this is mainly because you are using the Windows 7 OS as the following description from the Microsoft documentation mentions:

Before Windows 8, to load Winusb.sys as the function driver, you needed to provide a custom INF. The custom INF specifies the device-specific hardware ID and also includes sections from the in-box Winusb.inf. Those sections are required for instantiating the service, copying inbox binaries, and registering a device interface GUID that applications required to find the device and talk to it. For information about writing a custom INF, see WinUSB (Winusb.sys) Installation.

The steps I mentioned previously was basically from WinUSB (Winusb.sys) Installation. Try this out once more and if this does not help, then you will have to try the steps given here.

Also try creating a ticket at Microsoft for getting the 'WinUSB Device' entry in the 'Update Driver' section for Windows 7. They will be able to help better on this.

Warm Regards
Alen

0 Likes

Hi @AlenAn14 

In which .inf file do I need to make changes specific to Windows 7 OS as mentioned in your linked articles? Can you kindly let me know the location of the file?

0 Likes

Hello @AlenAn14

I found a solution and applied it, the USB-I2C bridge now shows up in Bridge control panel.

The solution is at the following link  https://community.silabs.com/s/article/manually-install-winusb-driver-on-windows-7?language=en_US

I am pasting the solution here in case the link breaks

Manually Install WinUsb Driver on Windows 7

Win7 ships with the correct 'winusb.sys' file, but is missing an updated '.inf' file that associates the driver with "usb\ms_comp_winusb" devices. Normally if the USB device supports Microsoft OS

Jul 9, 2021Knowledge
Details

Win7 ships with the correct 'winusb.sys' file, but is missing an updated '.inf' file that associates the driver with "usb\ms_comp_winusb" devices. Normally if the USB device supports Microsoft OS descriptors, then it will allow Windows to automatically install the WinUSB driver. This mechanism is supported "in-box" for Win8 and newer. For Win7 the mechanism is supported through Windows update. Depending on the update policy for the Win7 machine, the appropriate driver may or may not be already available on the machine. If it is not already on the machine, user can use the following manual procedure to install the driver if necessary.

1. Search for "windows phone winusb" at [Microsoft®Update Catalog|https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx].
  2. Download "Windows Phone - Other hardware - WinUsb Device".
  3. Extract the contents of the downloaded '.cab' file to a temporary folder.
  4. In device manager select "Update driver software ..." --> "Browse my computer for driver software".

5. Navigate to the temporary folder with the downloaded driver and complete the installation.

This procedure only needs to be done once.

0 Likes

Hi @MercurialMoon ,

Glad your query is resolved and really appreciate the working solution that you have shared with the community for this query! 😊
Please feel free to post any queries or issues you have on Infineon products in the future as well and we will be happy to help 

Warm Regards
Alen

0 Likes