The CY8CKIT-040T Dev board, in direct connection mode, sends i2c instructions to the PSOC via the Aardvark tool without returning results

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
FFSnow
Level 1
Level 1
10 sign-ins 5 questions asked 5 replies posted

We pull out the i2c-related cnnection points on the development board that connect to the PSoC. Connect through the Aardvark tool to be able to send i2c commands. Our goal is to be able to read and write rigister values through i2c in direct connection mode.

The Aardvark is capable of producing 3.3V. In this case, I used Aardvark to power the VDDD. The voltage measured by a multimeter is 2.4V. The VCCD uses 1.8V to power it.

However, there is no ACK when i2c reads and writes are sent through the Aardvark tool. The secondary IP address is set to 0x0C.

We unplugged Aardvark, connected the development board to the pc using usb, and got it working. Then, SCL and SDA were connected to the logic analyzer to obtain the communication mode of the development board. As a result, i2c command signal was not obtained, and SCL and SDA were always in a high state.

Can this development board be directly connected to PSoC as we do, or does it require some initialization operations through other MCUS?

I would appreciate it if you could answer my questions!!!😭

FFSnow_0-1699961174739.png

FFSnow_4-1699962117259.png

FFSnow_2-1699961563156.png

FFSnow_3-1699961620014.png

FFSnow_1-1699961525137.png

0 Likes
4 Replies
ADSW
250 sign-ins 50 solutions authored 25 likes received

Hello @FFSnow , 

Could you please give the result of logic analyzer while the Aardvark and development board are connected and the aardvark send a command to that board ? 

thanks & regards,
Andri

0 Likes
FFSnow
Level 1
Level 1
10 sign-ins 5 questions asked 5 replies posted

Hi @ADSW 

The logic analyzer and Aardvark tool have been returned, so the result screenshots cannot be posted. Let me try to describe it clearly.

•  When using the Aardvark tool I set the slave address to 0x0C and the register address to 0x40200120. The register read instruction is then sent. When sending a read command, Aardvark will write to the slave address first, but when writing to the slave address, no value is returned, which is equivalent to a write failure, and naturally the subsequent read operation does not continue.
  • When the logic analyzer is used to capture i2c signals, it is captured when the CY8CKOIT-040T is working normally, and it is always at a high level. However, after our later analysis, it seems that CY8CKIT-040T works normally without i2c communication.

The environment we want to build is to expose SCL, SDA, VDDD, VCCD and GND of PSOC via DuPont wire. It then communicates directly with the PSOC via i2c. Through the analysis of the schematic diagram, as long as the VDDD and VCCD provide stable electricity (VDDD and VCCD both use 1.8V electricity), PSOC should work normally, but in our built environment, why the i2c read and write to PSOC fail.

Thanks & Regards,

FFSnow

0 Likes
ADSW

Hello @FFSnow , 

Could you please share your project ? 
Since the CY8CKIT-040T is a development board, we can custom and create our project with it. 
You can try first with the CE234752 code example. 

I believe this board comes with firmware included on the board that features a capsense-tuner that connects using I2C. You can use capsense-tuner in Modustoolbox to monitor the data. 
It looks like the slave's address is wrong, so no ACK is returned by the slave.

Warm regards, 
Andri

0 Likes
ADSW

Hello, 

Thread was locked due to inactivity for long time, you can continue the discussion on the topic by opening a new thread with reference to the locked one.
The continuous discussion in an inactive thread may mostly be unattended by community users.

Thanks and Regards,
ADSW

0 Likes