Temperature makes CY8C4248LQI-BL583 fail

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
olto
Level 1
Level 1
First question asked Welcome!

Hi,

Working on a wireless capacitance sensor based on the  CY8C4248LQI-BL583. All components are rated to 85 degC or more.

The sensor works fine in room temperature but raising the temp makes it fail as early as 51 degC.

Failure temperature depends on which software I run on the sensor board. With the simple "Find Me" example failure occurs at around 70 degC.

I have tried heating various components e.g. oscillators and capacitors. But most indications points towards that it is the MCU that fails.

I understand the the information provided is not enough to pinpoint the root cause of the problem. I'm rather asking for troubleshooting advice.

BR

//olto

0 Likes
1 Solution
Gautami_12
50 likes received 100 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi @olto,

Can you please refer to section 4 related to power considerations from page 6 in the hardware resign recommendation guide for the PSoC4 family 

Please refer to the document and see if all recommendations are met.

Warm Regards,
Gautami J

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Gautami_12
50 likes received 100 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi @olto,

Can you please refer to section 4 related to power considerations from page 6 in the hardware resign recommendation guide for the PSoC4 family 

Please refer to the document and see if all recommendations are met.

Warm Regards,
Gautami J

0 Likes
BiBi_1928986
Level 7
Level 7
First comment on blog 500 replies posted 250 replies posted

Hello.

You could put a heatsink on PSoC to see if this makes a difference to your results.

You could measure chip temperatures with thermal sensing probes.  I suspect if you have a voltage regulator, it's likely shutting down due to thermal limits.

I'm not familiar with 4248 PSoC.  Some PsoC's have internal temperature monitoring capability.  Check the datasheet and Architecture documentation for this feature.  If it has this, and you can connect a serial port to PC, then you can monitor the internal chip temperature.
edit: according to datasheet, this PSoC has on-chip thermal sensor.

A thermal imaging camera would also tell you what's getting too hot.

Good luck with your project.

0 Likes