Syncing up Multiple Processors

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Gone
Level 3
Level 3
First solution authored 25 replies posted 25 sign-ins

I need some help on best way to sync up multiple (eight) processors talking to each other.  I would like to basically make a ring of data, so when I send out the data packet of say 64 bits the intended processor would grabs its section.  I am trying to get  data to 8 different processors almost at the same time (or as close as possible). Is something that can be done using a USART possibly.  Does any one have some experience with this kind of thing and how it can be done effective and fast?

0 Likes
1 Solution
nin
50 solutions authored 100 replies posted First like given

Hi @Gone 

USART is a communication protocol used to communicate between 2 devices. Data can be transmitted over USART either in half-duplex or in full-duplex serially over clock (for synchronous) or without clock (for asynchronous).

Could you specify exactly which device you are using?

If you want to send data from 1 processor to another processor which are connected in a ring then one of the processors has to be configured as a master and other processors as slave which is difficult in case of USART.

You might have to look into other communication protocols with multiple slaves and master architecture such as SPI, RS 485 etc.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Ninad

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
nin
50 solutions authored 100 replies posted First like given

Hi @Gone 

USART is a communication protocol used to communicate between 2 devices. Data can be transmitted over USART either in half-duplex or in full-duplex serially over clock (for synchronous) or without clock (for asynchronous).

Could you specify exactly which device you are using?

If you want to send data from 1 processor to another processor which are connected in a ring then one of the processors has to be configured as a master and other processors as slave which is difficult in case of USART.

You might have to look into other communication protocols with multiple slaves and master architecture such as SPI, RS 485 etc.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Ninad

0 Likes
Gone
Level 3
Level 3
First solution authored 25 replies posted 25 sign-ins

Thank you for the feed suggestions!  I will try SPI

0 Likes