Starting out with Cypress!

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RoRo_4142061
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 10 sign-ins 5 replies posted

Hi, I am starting out from scratch and I am trying to figure out what I need to get started.

I have been proposed the:

CY8CKIT-046 PSoC 4 L Series development board.

I don't really know how to get started with this? Where do I download the compiler software "Psoc Creator"??? Is there any simple examples like blink a led to get me started????

Also I am reading the "Infineon Lit Prog" user guide". On page 8 of the guide (please view image below), they show an image with what seems to be a PCB board plugged into a strange socket on a PC.

And yet they describe this as "Connect USB cable to J6 (Prototyping kits)"???? Why do they call it a cable when its a PCB???? and where is J6???

Thank you for all help

r

CABLE_.png 

0 Likes
1 Solution
KyTr_1955226
Level 6
Level 6
250 sign-ins 10 likes given 50 solutions authored

PSoC Creator may be found here: https://www.cypress.com/products/psoc-creator-integrated-design-environment-ide

Code examples can be downloaded from within PSoC Creator once it is installed (File > Code Example).  There are also some available for download on the product page for the CY8CKIT-046

Figure 3-2 is for prototyping kits, whereas your CY8CKIT-046 is a pioneer kit.  The programming connection for pioneer kits such as the 046 is shown on the previous page (Figure 3-1).  I think the "USB Cable" wording in the title for Figure 3-2 might just be an error.  The "Strange Socket on the PC" is a USB port.  The kit in Figure 3-2 (CY8CKIT-145-40xx) has a USB connection directly on the PCB, and may be plugged directly into a USB port for programming.  For pioneer kits such as yours, the programming connector is a Mini-USB Type B.  You connect a USB cable to connect to the onboard programmer to program the PSoC.  In Figure 3-1, it is J6 on the CY8CKIT-044.  On the CY8CKIT-046, the connector is J10.

P.S. the KitProg User Guide is a guide for the programmer that is shared between many kits, and not a guide for the development kit itself, which is why it may not match your specific kit in all figures.  The guide for the CY8CKIT-046 is this document here, which has the following diagram:

KyTr_1955226_0-1618510096190.png

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
KyTr_1955226
Level 6
Level 6

PSoC Creator may be found here: https://www.cypress.com/products/psoc-creator-integrated-design-environment-ide

Code examples can be downloaded from within PSoC Creator once it is installed (File > Code Example).  There are also some available for download on the product page for the CY8CKIT-046

Figure 3-2 is for prototyping kits, whereas your CY8CKIT-046 is a pioneer kit.  The programming connection for pioneer kits such as the 046 is shown on the previous page (Figure 3-1).  I think the "USB Cable" wording in the title for Figure 3-2 might just be an error.  The "Strange Socket on the PC" is a USB port.  The kit in Figure 3-2 (CY8CKIT-145-40xx) has a USB connection directly on the PCB, and may be plugged directly into a USB port for programming.  For pioneer kits such as yours, the programming connector is a Mini-USB Type B.  You connect a USB cable to connect to the onboard programmer to program the PSoC.  In Figure 3-1, it is J6 on the CY8CKIT-044.  On the CY8CKIT-046, the connector is J10.

P.S. the KitProg User Guide is a guide for the programmer that is shared between many kits, and not a guide for the development kit itself, which is why it may not match your specific kit in all figures.  The guide for the CY8CKIT-046 is this document here, which has the following diagram:

KyTr_1955226_0-1618510096190.png

0 Likes

Hello KyTr_1955226,

Ok thanks for that!

I have just installed PSoC creator  😀

I was able to watch my first video by Alan Hawse and I see that he is using the CY8CKIT-42 dev board as outlined in the PSoC 101 Introduction to the series video! 

I would really like to follow his courses using the same board as opposed to the proposed CY8CKIT-046. Would you know where I can find the CY8CKIT-042 (The same dev board that Alan uses for his courses) ... ??

And so would the CY8CKIT-042 dev board use a standard Mini-USB Type B plug also?

Thanks for your help... much apprciated

r

0 Likes

Product page for CY8CKIT-042 is here.  It is also a Pioneer kit like the -046/044 and as such uses a Mini-USB connection for the programming interface.

(you can find these product pages by searching the kit name on the Cypress site)

0 Likes

Hi 

I thank you so much for providing two ways to get to the CY8CKIT-042 development kit. 

Also, The dev board in question:

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cy8ckit-042-psoc-4-pioneer-kit

Does Cypress provide any minimal MCU schematic so I can build my own PCB with the same MCU that's on the Dev board?

Also, why do you guys always say:

"Arduino Uno, Programming/Debugging, USB-Serial"

in the features column???

Do I have to know/Use Arduino OR is this just optional?

Thank you 

sorry for all the questions, I'm a bit disoriented with where everything is !!!

Thanks again

0 Likes

Well you can always use the schematics of the dev board as a reference, those are freely provided. There's also a few examples for things like how MCU power should be connected in the PSoC 4200 Family Datasheet

You may also want to give this doc a read for design considerations: https://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an88619-psoc-4-hardware-design-consideration...

I believe the calling out of Arduino for these kits is simply because the headers on the kit are Arduino-compatible in some way. You do not need to know Arduino to work with PSoC (I don't know Arduino at all 😅)

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Hi KyTr!

I watched the "PSoC 101 Lesson 1 Software output pins" tutorial video and this seems very well presented! I can't wait to start 🙂

Before I orderI would like to know why there is two different prices for the same dev board?? Am I missing something????

Please view image of "PioneerKit25" which costs 25$ but then there is the other way to order the same kit as outlined in "PioneerKit30" image at 30$???? Are they the same? If not what is the difference and which one should I buy. The 5$ difference isn't a problem at all I just don't want to order the wrong board!??

Oh and yes and please view the "USB_Mini" image which shows the cable I would use!!! Please confirm if I'm all set with that?

Thanks so much for your support/Help!

r

0 Likes
KyTr_1955226
Level 6
Level 6

Not sure about the price discrepancy, maybe the table is pulling the price from a different place than the product page is.  Clicking the shopping cart link on the table takes you to the same place as the "Buy From Cypress" link on the product page, and it's $30 there.

Your USB Mini cable should do fine, although the 042 kit will come with one as well.  if the one you already have runs into a problem, you can just use the one that is included with the kit.

0 Likes
RoRo_4142061
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 10 sign-ins 5 replies posted

Ok 

So let me order the kit and give it a try!

Thanks for your help, guidance and support, much appreciated  😊

R

0 Likes