Setting TX power higher than 3dBm

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
MikeAustin
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 25 sign-ins 10 replies posted

Hi,

Trying to get a bit of extra range on a PSoC4 BLE chip (specifically it’s the CY8C4248 variant) and wanted to know if there is an option to boost the TX (Adv and Connect) powers above the current maximum of 3dBm.

The GUI in PSOC Creator won’t let me do it, and if I go into the generated BLE code, I can see the highest option I can set it within code is: CYBLE_LL_PWR_LVL_3_DBM , which I believe is still 3dBm.

I’m not concerned about power useage, as this device is powered off my solar/battery setup, and the quiescent current of my inverter would be 100 times that of my PSoC.

Cheers,

Mike

0 Likes
1 Solution
Yugandhar
500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted 5 likes given

Hello,

The maximum power level which can be set for the PSoC4BLE in the BLE component is 3dBm only. If you want to get more Tx power level then you can use an external power amplifier. Please refer to the section "23 Support for External Power Amplifier/Low-Noise Amplifier/RF Front End" in the Antenna Design and RF Layout Guidelines datasheet for more information.

Thanks,

P Yugandhar. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Yugandhar
500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted 5 likes given

Hello,

The maximum power level which can be set for the PSoC4BLE in the BLE component is 3dBm only. If you want to get more Tx power level then you can use an external power amplifier. Please refer to the section "23 Support for External Power Amplifier/Low-Noise Amplifier/RF Front End" in the Antenna Design and RF Layout Guidelines datasheet for more information.

Thanks,

P Yugandhar. 

0 Likes