Announcements

Equip yourself to optimize PSoc4 MCUs for Evs at the EV Webinar. Click here to register.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

PSoC™ 4 Forum Discussions

YuMa_1534086
Level 6
Level 6
50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored 10 solutions authored

Hello.

Below is description of CapSense component datasheet.

=====================================

A higher modulator clock-frequency reduces the sensor scan time.

This results in lower average power consumption and reduces the noise in the raw counts.

=====================================

How much will raw count noise increase when modulator clock frequency reduces?

I want to know increase rate of raw count when modulator clock frequency reduces.

For example, the scan time doubles when the frequency changes from 48MHz to 24MHz.

Will raw count noise also double in that case?

Best Regards.

Yutaka Matsubara

0 Likes
1 Solution
Hari
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi Yutaka-san, 

That note is an error in the component datasheet. Please see this section in the CapSense design guide AN - 

Hari_0-1626066183984.png

The noise would decrease if the modulator clock frequency is reduced in CSD. However, please note that this will not be a direct relationship, that is, setting the mod clock to half its value will not result in half the noise. You would only see a small reduction in the overall noise. 

I will also have an internal ticket to get this corrected in the component datasheet. Thank you for pointing this out. 

Best regards, 
Hari

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Hari
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi Yutaka-san, 

That note is an error in the component datasheet. Please see this section in the CapSense design guide AN - 

Hari_0-1626066183984.png

The noise would decrease if the modulator clock frequency is reduced in CSD. However, please note that this will not be a direct relationship, that is, setting the mod clock to half its value will not result in half the noise. You would only see a small reduction in the overall noise. 

I will also have an internal ticket to get this corrected in the component datasheet. Thank you for pointing this out. 

Best regards, 
Hari

0 Likes
YuMa_1534086
Level 6
Level 6
50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored 10 solutions authored

Hari-san.

Thank you for your response.

I understand.

Best Regards.

Yutaka Matsubara