Quadrature vs TCPWM Quadrature

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
anJa_4692871
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hi! I'm just wondering why there are two components available for quadrature decoding (regular vs. TCPWM) and am wondering when I might choose one over the other.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Aashita_R
50 likes received 100 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi @anJa_4692871 ,

Both the regular Quadrature decoder as well as TCPWM Quadrature decoder are used to achieve the same functionality itself. However, with the regular Quadrature decoder that we come across in PSoC 4, it has different tabs associated with the Quad dec that helps to configure the component more specifically according to the application. We can find separate tabs to set different parameters such as  "Enable glitch filtering" , "Index Input Tab", "Counter Size" etc. We do not get such flexibility with TCPWM Quad dec operating mode.

Please go through their details here :

Quad dec : Quadrature Decoder (QuadDec) (cypress.com)

TCPWM Quad dec: PSoC 4 Timer Counter Pulse Width Modulator (TCPWM) (cypress.com)

I would suggest you to use the regular Quad dec component in your project so as to make use of the flexibility of configuring it precisely according to your application. Please let us know in case of further clarifications.

Best Regards,

Aashita

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Aashita_R
50 likes received 100 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi @anJa_4692871 ,

Both the regular Quadrature decoder as well as TCPWM Quadrature decoder are used to achieve the same functionality itself. However, with the regular Quadrature decoder that we come across in PSoC 4, it has different tabs associated with the Quad dec that helps to configure the component more specifically according to the application. We can find separate tabs to set different parameters such as  "Enable glitch filtering" , "Index Input Tab", "Counter Size" etc. We do not get such flexibility with TCPWM Quad dec operating mode.

Please go through their details here :

Quad dec : Quadrature Decoder (QuadDec) (cypress.com)

TCPWM Quad dec: PSoC 4 Timer Counter Pulse Width Modulator (TCPWM) (cypress.com)

I would suggest you to use the regular Quad dec component in your project so as to make use of the flexibility of configuring it precisely according to your application. Please let us know in case of further clarifications.

Best Regards,

Aashita

0 Likes