Proximity Sensing with a TouchPad

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
alba_4439266
Level 1
Level 1
10 sign-ins 5 replies posted 5 sign-ins

Hello,

I recently developed a trackpad in which I would now like to incorporate proximity sensing. Ideally, I want to develop the technology such that each diamond can determine proximity to produce a heat map of the proximal touches. Is this doable on a trackpad? According to the proximity sensing data sheet, I must use a button, sensor ganging, PCB trace, or Wire loop.

Thank you,

0 Likes
1 Solution
BragadeeshV
First question asked 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi @alba_4439266 , The general application of proximity in touchpad is to use it as a wake on approach. You will not be able to configure each diamond as proximity since the entire row or column is a single sensor. Therefore, you will have the entire row/ column acting as the proximity sensor.  Therefore you can have 7 row prox sensors and 7 column prox sensors. Based on the X and Y data from the proximity sensors, you need to calculate the position using your own firmware. Does this satisfy your requirement?

BragadeeshV_1-1611728623954.png

Regards,
Bragadeesh

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
BragadeeshV

Hi @alba_4439266 , The general application of proximity in touchpad is to use it as a wake on approach. You will not be able to configure each diamond as proximity since the entire row or column is a single sensor. Therefore, you will have the entire row/ column acting as the proximity sensor.  Therefore you can have 7 row prox sensors and 7 column prox sensors. Based on the X and Y data from the proximity sensors, you need to calculate the position using your own firmware. Does this satisfy your requirement?

BragadeeshV_1-1611728623954.png

Regards,
Bragadeesh
0 Likes
alba_4439266
Level 1
Level 1
10 sign-ins 5 replies posted 5 sign-ins

Hello,

Thank you for the information. This makes sense. It seems as though the proximity sensors will work similarly to a trackpad. Will I be able to generate proximal heat maps of the entire trackpad at a single moment in time? 

0 Likes
BragadeeshV

Hi @alba_4439266 , After scanning of all the proximity sensors are complete (7+7), you will have difference counts of each of the segments. This will not be having a pixel wise (each diamond ) data. You need to write your own algorithm to develop this heat map.

BragadeeshV_0-1611897510138.png

Regards,
Bragadeesh
0 Likes