PSoC4 RTCs periodic alarm only triggering once

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AnKr_1499391
Level 3
Level 3
First like received First like given

Hi,

I have a very strange problem with a CY8C4248LQI-BL583 device and the RTC component.

I configured the RTC with alarm and I want to trigger a daily action with the alarm,

To test the periodic alarm feature I tried to create a minutely, an hourly or a daily alarm.

But only the daily alarm triggers correcty and it triggers only once.

I use the following code to set the alarm:

RTC_SetAlarmMask( RTC_ALARM_SEC_MASK | RTC_ALARM_MIN_MASK  | RTC_ALARM_HOUR_MASK );   // Set periodic daily alarm

RTC_SetAlarmHandler( AlarmCallbackHandler );       // set Callback Handler for Alarm

RTC_DATE_TIME MyAlarm;

MyAlarm.date = RTC_SetDay( MyAlarm.date, 22 );

MyAlarm.date = RTC_SetMonth( MyAlarm.date, RTC_APRIL);

MyAlarm.date = RTC_SetYear( MyAlarm.date, 2018 );

MyAlarm.time = RTC_SetHours( MyAlarm.time, 11 );

MyAlarm.time = RTC_SetMinutes( MyAlarm.time,  55 );

MyAlarm.time = RTC_SetSecond( MyAlarm.time, 1 );

RTC_SetAlarmDateAndTime( &MyAlarm );      // Alarm is triggered on the next day at 11:55:01

// But Alarm is triggered only once, and not repeated on the day after tomorrow.

This is the Alarm-callback:

void AlarmCallbackHandler(){ 

RTC_ClearAlarmStatus();           // Clear Alarm Status  

LED_Write( ~LED_READ() );                             //  toggle LED to detect the alarm has occured

}

What also does not work:

RTC_SetAlarmMask( RTC_ALARM_SEC_MASK | RTC_ALARM_MIN_MASK  );   // Set periodic hourly alarm

// or:

RTC_SetAlarmMask( RTC_ALARM_SEC_MASK  );   // Set periodic minutely alarm

// Same setup/configuration as before...

// But Alarm is NOT triggered in the next hour at minute 55 and second 01 or on each minute with minutely alarm.

Do I have to reenable the alarm somehow?

And if so, how do I do this?

Thanks a lot

Andreas

0 Likes
1 Solution

Finally I found a very simple and effective solution: I just implemented the alarm functionality by myself!

Eliminating the alarm-function in the RTC-component and implementing the necessary counter is even faster and more flexible.

My implementation is based on a uint32 counter which is decremented each second. When setting the initial alarm I used the Date-to-Unixtime to easily calculate the value of the counter until the next alarm should trigger.

In the Alarm-function I can very easily set the counter for a certain repetition rate. 60*60*24 for daily alarm, or 60*60 für hourly alarm, or even anything inbetween!

Setting the counter to 32bit-max value disables the alarm for the next 136years. 🙂

Just to keep you updated!

Andreas

View solution in original post

3 Replies