PSoC4 BLE Public address change on CySmart app

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
andreacassigoli
Level 1
Level 1
Welcome! First question asked First reply posted

Hi,

I have a CY8CKIT-143A PSoC4 BLE kit. In the BLE component configuration, I set these two parameters:

Device name: EasyTech N3

Public address: 00A050-000006

So the public address has not been changed from the original one.

The problem happens with CySmart app. If I connect and then disconnect from the device, sometimes in the device list I find severals devices with the same name (EasyTech N3) but different public address. If I try to connect to a device with a wrong public address, I can connect but, of course, services are not recognized.

Have anyone had the same problem?

Thanks for any help.

Andrea

0 Likes
1 Solution
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

All BLE devices in the surroundings will be detected in the CySmart app. Let's assume the following two cases:

Case 1: When the Device Name of two devices are the same and also they have the same public address

Observation: In this case the both the devices will be treated as a single entity. However, either one will remain active or will get connected to based on various factors like distance, signal strength etc. In fact, this might change when you move the mobile closer to other device too. You can think of both the devices as single entity except only one will get priority.

Case 2: When the Device Name of two devices are the same but they don't have the same public address. Let's assume the configuration as below:
Device 1: Name: EasyTech

Public Address: 00A050-000006

Services Enabled: Yes

Device 2: Name: EasyTech

Public Address: 00A050-000007

Services Enabled: No

Observation: In this case, both the devices will be visible in the app as shown below. Both the devices can be connected to, but only one of them will display the services. So what we see is isn't necessarily a problem, it is how bluetooth addresses are assigned and based on the firmware, services are seen on the app.

Screenshot_2018-06-21-17-08-25-117_com.cypress.cysmart.png

To avoid this hassle of multiple devices having the same addresses, the silicon generated Company assigned code can be used as shown below:

silicon.PNG

This will assign unique addresses without any overlap.

Hope this resolves your query.

Regards,

Dheeraj

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

All BLE devices in the surroundings will be detected in the CySmart app. Let's assume the following two cases:

Case 1: When the Device Name of two devices are the same and also they have the same public address

Observation: In this case the both the devices will be treated as a single entity. However, either one will remain active or will get connected to based on various factors like distance, signal strength etc. In fact, this might change when you move the mobile closer to other device too. You can think of both the devices as single entity except only one will get priority.

Case 2: When the Device Name of two devices are the same but they don't have the same public address. Let's assume the configuration as below:
Device 1: Name: EasyTech

Public Address: 00A050-000006

Services Enabled: Yes

Device 2: Name: EasyTech

Public Address: 00A050-000007

Services Enabled: No

Observation: In this case, both the devices will be visible in the app as shown below. Both the devices can be connected to, but only one of them will display the services. So what we see is isn't necessarily a problem, it is how bluetooth addresses are assigned and based on the firmware, services are seen on the app.

Screenshot_2018-06-21-17-08-25-117_com.cypress.cysmart.png

To avoid this hassle of multiple devices having the same addresses, the silicon generated Company assigned code can be used as shown below:

silicon.PNG

This will assign unique addresses without any overlap.

Hope this resolves your query.

Regards,

Dheeraj

Thank you very much for your quick and detailed answer.

The fact is that I have only one kit CY8CKIT-143A PSoC4 BLE. No other identical devices are present surroundings.

That's why it is very strange.

I used PSoC Creator to upload the firmware and started from the "BLE_Heart_Rate_Sensor" example code.

May be a bug ini the example code?

Thank you

0 Likes

If you have only one device and you are seeing multiple identical devices, this may be a problem only in some mobile devices. Please provide the following details so that this bug in the app can be reported and solved:

1) Your Phone OS and Version:

2) Phone model:

3) PSoC Creator Version:

4) Device name of your Kit:

The example code has no issues whatsoever. Might be a bug in the app.

Thank you for helping us improve. Appreciate it. We hope to fix it soon.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

Following the requested informations:

1) Your Phone OS and Version: Android version 7.0

2) Phone model: Tablet Mediacom, model M-SP10MXHA

3) PSoC Creator Version: PSoC Creator  4.2 (4.2.0.641), OS Version: Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.10586.0, CLR Version: 4.0.30319.42000

4) Device name of your Kit: CY8CKIT-143A PSoC4 BLE

This bug is not so often, anyway i tried to change the tablet with another identical one and the issue sometimes happens.

Thank you.

0 Likes

We haven't encountered this problem in any other devices. This might be a device specific issue. Please check with other devices and not an identical one. It should work.

Thank you.

Regards,

Dheeraj D Kamath