PSoC and GUI Development for newbie

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
joli_601446
Level 5
Level 5
10 likes given 10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins

Hello, I've used the PSOC 4 and PSOC 5 and like using the PSOC Creator IDE for code development. I've now stumbled on the GUI generation with the PSOC microcontrollers. I want to learn more, can anyone tell me what software I need in order to create GUI's for the PSOC 4 and 5?  Are there any videos on the steps to create GUI's? Kinda like the PSOC 101 videos on youtube.

Thank you

0 Likes
1 Solution

joli,

Segger AppWizard is not needed to create GUIs using emWin.  It just makes the effort easier.  I haven't used the AppWizard but I assume it uses the PC to visualize the GUI and generate much of the operational code to be ued with emWin.

emWin is not needed to create GUIs on the PSoC5.  It just makes the effort easier.   I've used emWin with the PSoC5 and PSoC6.  I've made my own GUI objects.  It was a bit more coding trial-and-error.

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Gautami_12
50 likes received 100 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi @joli_601446,

Can you please let us know which display and PSoC development kit  are  you  using  for creating GUI's for the PSoC 4 and 5?

Warm Regards,
Gautami J

joli_601446
Level 5
Level 5

Hello, I don't have a kit or display yet, I just want to learn how to generate a GUI using emWin or the Seggar Wizard. I'm planning for my next design.

Thank you

Joe

0 Likes
joli_601446
Level 5
Level 5

I can purchase a kit, no problem. Let me know which one would be good to start with.

Thank you

0 Likes
Gautami_12

Hi @joli_601446,

I would suggest you to buy PSoC™ 6 Wi-Fi Bluetooth® pioneer kit  and CY8CKIT-028-TFT  display.
To generate a GUI using emWin or the Seggar Wizard in ModusToolbox™ software v2.4  . We have a inbuilt  code example in ModusToolBox software  that demonstrates displaying 2D graphics on a TFT display using the emWin graphics library and the AppWizard GUI design tool in FreeRTOS. The application initializes the system peripherals and creates a task that cycles through demo images in response to button presses.

You can create this project directly by selecting  PSoC6 emwin tft freetos template  from Project Creator .

Gautami_12_1-1654144770700.png

Please follow  mtb-example-psoc6-emwin-tft-freertos to know more about PSoC6 emwin tft freetos code example.

Warm Regards,
Gautami J

Thank you very much. I'm not an expert with FreeRTOS, is that needed to make an application that uses a GUI?

Joe

0 Likes
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

joli,

Cypress never developed a PSoC5 development kit with a TFT display.  This is why there are no Cypress-official examples on doing this.

Using the PSoC5 with a TFT display is definitely achievable.

Here are links to what I found on the internet using a quick search:

There are probably more references.

I hope this is a good start.

Len

Hello, thank you very much for the information on the PSOC5. I might have an opportunity to use the PSOC6 in the future. Is the emWin or Segger AppWizard required to make GUI's for the PSOC5?

Thank you

0 Likes

joli,

Segger AppWizard is not needed to create GUIs using emWin.  It just makes the effort easier.  I haven't used the AppWizard but I assume it uses the PC to visualize the GUI and generate much of the operational code to be ued with emWin.

emWin is not needed to create GUIs on the PSoC5.  It just makes the effort easier.   I've used emWin with the PSoC5 and PSoC6.  I've made my own GUI objects.  It was a bit more coding trial-and-error.

Len
Gautami_12

Hi @joli_601446  

The  mtb-example-psoc6-emwin-tft-freertos  emwin tft freetos code example supports PSoC 6 device. please refer to the screenshot.

Gautami_12_0-1654577959323.png

This code example also requires CY8CKIT-028-TFT .TFT is a  display shield board.

Warm Regards,
Gautami J