PSoC 4 throughput different for different PSoC4 module

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
longnn
Level 1
Level 1
First solution authored First reply posted First question asked

Hi everyone,

I was using this project to measure throughput of the PSoC4 devices  https://www.cypress.com/blog/problem-solver/project-024-bluetooth-low-energy-throughput-pushing-limi...

When I test it on the CY8C4248LQI-BL583 (the red board comes with the PSoC4 kit), the throughput is 269kpbs, same as what is mention in the link.

However, when I test the same project on the Cyble-214015-01, the throughput seems much lower, 167kpbs when on battery and 218kpbs when I plugged in the charger (it was on the PCB with a battery and a charging port for the battery). I am trying to optimize the throughput for this device so is there any ways to improve it on the Cyble-214015-01?

Also, I aim to transfer an amount of 40MB stored on an external serial flash through BLE to my laptop. What would be the best way to do it? Thankss!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi Yugandhar,

Thank you for your reply. I tried your suggestions on increasing the MaxAttrNoOfBuffer but it doesn't seem to improve the throughput much. However, I tried the data length extension property of Bluetooth v4.2 and it significantly improves the throughput which I think enough for my application.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Yugandhar
500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted 5 likes given

Hello,

For increasing the throughput, please try the below points and let me know your observations.

1. Please check with increasing the BLE stack internal buffer size. For this, In PSoC Creator, go to Tools-> Options-> Design Entry-> Component Catalog and then select Enable Param Edit Views and click OK.
2. Open BLE component configuration, right-click on Advanced Tab and select Expression view.
3. Increase the MaxAttrNoOfBuffer. You can start with 3 or 4 and test.
4. Make sure the BLESS interrupt is at highest priority. 
5. Make sure that the CyBle_ProcessEvents() function are calling at regular intervals of time in the firmware.  

For transfering 40MB of data, you can use one of the two projects from this link. 1. L2CAP Channel-Data Outgoing project will sends continuous data over the L2CAP layer by using a connection-oriented channel. 2.GATT Notification - Data Outgoing project sends the data over BLE using GATT notifications on a custom characteristic. Please refer to the Throughput datasheet for more information on these projects.

Please refer to the below datasheet and thread link for more information on throughput calculation.

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an99209-psoc-4-ble-and-proc-ble-bluetooth-le...

https://community.cypress.com/t5/PSoC-4-MCU/BLE-4-2-max-payload-throughput/m-p/33432

Thanks,

P Yugandhar.

0 Likes

Hi Yugandhar,

Thank you for your reply. I tried your suggestions on increasing the MaxAttrNoOfBuffer but it doesn't seem to improve the throughput much. However, I tried the data length extension property of Bluetooth v4.2 and it significantly improves the throughput which I think enough for my application.

Thanks.

0 Likes