PSoC 4 as HID

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello!

Is it possible to turn a PSoC 4 into an HID via software?  has any user in this forum got something like this to work?

I want to emulate a keyboard which will get what data to send thru UART from a PC.

Thanks and regards!

0 Likes
9 Replies
RaAl_264636
Level 6
Level 6
50 sign-ins 25 sign-ins 10 solutions authored

Hi,

the current PSoC4 devices have no USB interface, so it's not possible. The upcoming PSoC4-L series devices will have USB.

Regards,

Ralf

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Welcome in the forum! And: Principially: Yes.

Dependent on your equipment it can turn out to be a hard job, when you have got a CY8CKIT-042 Pioneer Kit it will be more easy to test. using the on-board kitprog programmer witch features a USBUART bridge. The final product will need something like voltage drivers for the unusual +- 12V the RS232 interface requires.

Happy coding

Bob

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

@Rallf

Might have been before your time, but keyboards have been connected to pcs via com-ports (serial interface) int the beginning. You may still connect a RS232 keyboard to your computers today when you have got that interface on your PC.

Bob

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

L Series due this fall -

0 Likes
ETRO_SSN583
Level 9
Level 9
250 likes received 100 sign-ins 5 likes given

Roadmap -

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your fast reponses!

Seems that I have to wait for the new L series, or maybe look at the PSoC 5.

Thanks!

0 Likes
RaAl_264636
Level 6
Level 6
50 sign-ins 25 sign-ins 10 solutions authored

@Bob:

Oh, I know the good old PS/2 keyboards/mice well 😉

He asked about HID, which is an indicator for an USB interface, and that is currently not available on PSoC4. I also want to have the 4200-L devices now, so I can optimize the USB bridge out of the design.

Regards,

Scotty

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why not use GPIO and software USB stack running on the ARM-M0 ?

there are few available on github for ARM ?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The CY8CKIT-049-42XX , comes with a serial-usb bridge chip. However, you still need drivers to be recognized as kbd/mouse. However, being a HID device is just hardcoding specific identifiers according to USB specs. Can we reprogram this on the CY7C65211 ? So it is pickedup & identified as HID in wind/linux/mac OSs ?

0 Likes