PSoC 4 BLE cannot be found

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

I would like to ask for some hints to prevent the PSoC 042 BLE from not been detected. In my case I am coding a java application on Windows 10 and I can see any other bluetooth devices except the psoc ble.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

Have a look here:  modulation is different from classic Bluetooth

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Likes
23 Replies
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

Does your application see other BLE devices? BLE is different from normal bluetooth. Also, does the CySmart tool see your device?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

My application see my tablet, smartphone and other computers Bluetooth. I got the "Find Me" example as a base for trying this and the CySmart tool could see it.

What you mean by "BLE is different from normal bluetooth" ?

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Have a look here:  modulation is different from classic Bluetooth

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't have notice that there is different kinds of bluetooth and maybe It is the motive why I can't see It like "classical" bluetooth devices. So must I use the dongle device to capture the bluetooth LE everytime?

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

There are (newer) smartphones that already are equipped with BLE. When you do not have got another BLE device you will have to use the BLE dongle which is nothing more than just a small BLE chip on a small board.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I finally found were the problem is. I was developing an Java app for desktop, but It only supports bluetooth version 2. The bluetooth LE was made on version 4, so it never really would work. I looked the configurations on my pc and the bluetooth device supports version 4. So I am going to abandon Java for now and migrate to Qt ( Tha supports version 4).

Thanks for the help!.

Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the best language to develop BLE desktop applications?

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

There is no 'best language' for BLE. It all depends on which platform you are. On iOS its probably Swift, on Android its Java. On Linux probably C / C++ (together with the BlueZ stack), on Windows mostly C#. If you find a nice library for BLE development, you can use any language you want.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with you, but my problem is exactly to find a library/language to Windows. I saw one or two examples in C# but they were in L2CAP implementation level and I would like to manage something more higher level. similar to sockets.

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

Well, since BLE functions are part of ther Windows core API (at least since Windows 8 - see https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh450825%28v=vs.85%29.aspx ) all languages that can call this API can be used. Surely there are .NET classes available for that API, so all .NET languages can be used.

If you want to use JavaScript - there is a NodeJS module: https://github.com/sandeepmistry/noble

But Google is your friend to find more. I suggest to read the Cypress BLE into - it is not something that can be used as a network socket. Its more like a event-handling system.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried to use nodeJs, but the results were not good because It could not detect my bluetooth pc. I already looked at the specifications and my pc does have support for bluetooth 4,x ( so does to bluetooth smart). My last chance to use BLE on windows is to code on .NET. If It does not work( or get pretty much difficult) I will have to try It on Linux ( with Qt).

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

BlueTooth 4.0 is not equal to BLE. Not all BT4.0 devices support BLE, this must be specified explicitely. So you should make sure your PC does BLE before you further venture down that road...

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is It possible to program the Dongle, that comes with PSoC 042 ble kit, to my own applications, or it only applies for debugging ?

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

The dongle is a PSoC, so you may program it with whatever you want and the resources allow.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's pretty interesting ! My objective is to send a packet from psoc 4 ble, received It in dongle and plot certain value ( came inside packet). Am I dreaming too much or is it possible? 

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

The dongle is equipped with a Kitprog that allows for debugging and for an UART-USB bridge. So you may send data over the USB connection and pick up the data on PC side using an emulated com-port from which you may read in any programming language.

We are talking about PSoCs !!!

Happy coding, Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is some example that I can take as base for getting started?

At the moment I just have the PSoC 042 kit contents, so I do not have the Miniprog. Is there another way of making this communication?

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

I think the dongle comes with a bootloader so you can use that. You certainly can update the firmware on it without a KitProg.

Look at the user guide for -042 kit, it tells a little bit about how to program the dongle. Also, day 6 of the 100 projects has a sample project: https://github.com/cypresssemiconductorco/PSoC-4-BLE/tree/master/100_Projects_in_100_Days/Day006_Cen...

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

The PRoC dongle has got a Kitprog on board, so when plugged in a USB-port you can program it directly from Creator. A bootloader is not needed, nor is a MiniProg3 required.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hli , that project you posted the link helped me a lot! Now I can see how to program the Dongle ( or at least get main ideia of the process). Is there some way of passing an uint8 value instead of the Alert Level? I tried to configure a Custom Service, but the only field available was the UUID.

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8

If you configure a custom service, you can just add an attribute to it that is a uint8. Look at AN91162.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am sending an attachment of my component ( just an image). This BLE window is in the client side.

This only happens on the client side! The server side follows the AN91162 you had posted.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess that the function I need is CyBle_AnscSetCharacteristicValue(), but I have no idea of how to know the index of the service characteristic. Where can I get that?

0 Likes