PSOC4L - extclk is only p0.6. What is special about p0.6?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
MiRo_263836
Level 5
Level 5
100 replies posted 50 likes received 50 replies posted

I can bring in a clk on any GPIO and use it as a digital signal clock, but there is a block in the clock wizard called ExtClk and only P0.6 is possible there.  Is this a better pin to bring any external clock in on?  Is it a direct, low capacitance line to the clock block?  I can't find anything in the TRM or datasheet that explains it.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Why have the ExtClk block with P0.6 as the only choice?  Otherwise, it is just another digital signal into the clock tree / mux. There is nothing in the datasheet or TRM to address this.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
MiRo_263836
Level 5
Level 5
100 replies posted 50 likes received 50 replies posted

Here is a screen shot of the Clock Wizard.

P4200L Clock Wizard.PNG

0 Likes
Vison_Zhang
First comment on KBA 750 replies posted 250 sign-ins

P0.6 have no special, just designed as an EXT_CLK pin and it can be routed to the main clock network via internal digital routing and mux.

0 Likes

Why have the ExtClk block with P0.6 as the only choice?  Otherwise, it is just another digital signal into the clock tree / mux. There is nothing in the datasheet or TRM to address this.

0 Likes

The chip is just designed like that, no special reason. Not just PSoC4A-L, other PSOC4 family parts which support EXT_CLK function also only designed one dedicate pin for the clock routing.

The datasheet mention the function of P0.6 in Pinouts tables, described as "srss.ext_clk:0 ", but seems this is not clear to customer. I will report this issue to document apartment to change that.

0 Likes

I guess that it saves you from having to put a pin on the schematic, add a wire and give it a name. Then selecting that name in the Clock Wizard.  You can just the box of the EXT CLK block and put a clock on P0.6. 

0 Likes