PSOC 4: Primary and Secondary Bootloaders

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
meron
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hello everyone,

Is there a way to define two Bootloaders, a PRIMARY bootloader that loads/upgrades the APPLICATION and a SECONDARY bootloader that loads/upgrades the PRIMARY bootloader?

In different words, I'm looking for a way to be able to upgrade a Bootloader project in the field.
Currently, once a Bootloader project is out there, it is possible to upgrade the APPLICATION only in case the Bootloader project was not changed, which is a major problem in case the Bootloader contains bugs or more features are needed.

Thanks a lot for your help,
Meron

0 Likes
5 Replies
Alakananda_BG
50 likes received 250 sign-ins 250 replies posted

Hi @meron ,

Please refer to the below document under the section 'Use Cases' where you can find bootloaders and their use cases.

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-Component_Bootloadable_Bootloader_V1.50-Software%20Module%20D...

Regards,

Alakananda
0 Likes
Thank you, but I don't understand how it solves the problem. I'm not looking for a single bootloader to load two different applications, but two bootloaders and a single application. One bootloader, the primary will load the application. Another bootloader, the secondary will be responsible of upgrading the primary bootloader.

Thanks,
Meron
0 Likes
Alakananda_BG
50 likes received 250 sign-ins 250 replies posted

Hi @meron ,

We do not have an example for a single bootloader to load two different applications.

Regards,

Alakananda
0 Likes
Hi,

I'm not looking for a SINGLE bootloader to load TWO DIFFERENT applications.
I'm looking for TWO DIFFERENT bootloaders and a SINGLE application.
First bootloader is very thin - not to be changed ever - is to reprogram the second bootloader.
Second bootloader is to load the application.

Regards,
Meron

[cid:image001.png@01D8C2BD.8E5B8680]<>

MERON COHEN
RT/Embedded SW Manager
M: +972-58-4440222<>
[cid:image002.png@01D8C2BD.8E5B8680]<>

[cid:image003.png@01D8C2BD.8E5B8680]<>

[cid:image004.png@01D8C2BD.8E5B8680]
IMPORTANT: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential. They are intended for the named recipient(s) only and may contain trade secret or privileged and confidential information otherwise protected under applicable law. Any unauthorized distribution, copying or use of the information contained in this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete this communication and do not disclose the contents to anyone or make copies thereof.
0 Likes
BiBi_1928986
Level 7
Level 7
First comment on blog 500 replies posted 250 replies posted

Hello.

You might want to investigate Launcher + 2xCombination.

Combination = Bootloader+App

It's the only readily available option to have 2 bootloaders.
For example:
App1 could be the real project.  App2 could be next to nothing.
Bootloader1 can update Bootloader2+App2.
Bootloader2 can update Bootloader1+App1.

The down side is, FLASH memory space is split in 2.

It's pretty confusing reading the Bootloader component datasheet.  And I couldn't find any example projects using Launcher.  You'd need to experiment.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes