PRoC BLE and MPU-9250 : I2C or SPI

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GeEd_1216226
Level 4
Level 4
5 sign-ins 25 replies posted 10 replies posted

Has anyone interfaced a PRoC BLE using with Invensense MPU-9250?  I am just starting a major project with limited I2C experience.  I perhaps prefer SPI but looking for any tips and code that may be available out there to help kick things along?

I have the PRoC BLE working with UART for transferring data to Android APPS, just looking at incorporating motion and sensing data to the whole process. 

0 Likes
9 Replies
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

I2C is quite straight forward, Cypress datasheet is complete. Only hint I can give: Do not mix the high-level routines transferring arrays of data with the low-level routines that need SendStart() and SendStop() APIs. I (personally) prefer the latter.

Bob

0 Likes
GeEd_1216226
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks Bob.  I have the I2C working, basically at least so I confirm my hardware is all OK.  I noted the Project of 100 projects/100 days (I2C-BLE Peripheral Role) where the BLE is acting as a "slave" to a secondary "master".  I am attempting to communicate via BLE but using a PRoC as Master, to an MPU "slave".  The PRoC then communicates via BLE to a central device (Android).  Not sure what the Master/slave repercussions might be, but is it a simple matter of reversing the Master and slave roles from that project?  Or is it much more complicated than that???  I am using the EZ-BLE 022001.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

There is no hardware dedication between master/slave and PRoC BLE / PSoC BLE. The internal hardware equipment on a PRoC is a lot smaller than the PSoC's, so check if your requirements fits.

Bob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I searched through weband found libraries for MPU6050. It should mostly port to MPU9050 except MPU6050 does not have magnetometer.

http://samselectronicsprojects.blogspot.in/2014/07/getting-started-with-mpu-6050-imu.html

https://github.com/EmbeddedSam/MPU-6050/tree/master/Examples/3%20MPU-6050-PSoC-GetGs/MPU-6050-PSoC-G...

-Keerthi

0 Likes
GeEd_1216226
Level 4
Level 4

I have managed to successfully interface the I2C but have found that the EZ-BLE 022001 very quickly runs out of memory facility, so am now using the EZ-BLE 222005.  The system uses the UART-BLE bridge for other functions, as well as I2C.  If anyone needs any assistance, pleased to share some of the experience.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi ART911

I have a similar situation as yours i want to interface my TSL2591 light sensor with cypress PSoC 4 BLE pioneer kit using I2C protocol for my major project.

The difficulty is that i dont understand the how to program the PSoC creator while refering the datasheet of my sensor to display the lux value to a hyperterminal.

I understand their are some registers that i need to read data from (should i read it raw if not what are the changes i need to make so that i get the lux values on my hyperterminal)

After reading the various posts on cypress community i understand that we can use I2C protocol using these set of commands: SendStart(),WriteByte(),SendRestart() and SendStop().

I need help in understanding the datasheet of my sensor and how to <h1>use the data read from the TSL2591 sensor in PSoC Creator to show the final lux value on a hyperterminal</h1>

I am attaching the datasheet of the sensor which i want to interface using I2C protocol.

i will really appreciate any help related to this situation 🙂

0 Likes

Do a google for Jeff Rowberg and his I2CDEV samples on GITHUB.  Your sensor is not within his list, and there is nothing specifically for PSoC but follow the Arduino example.  You can download his code examples and it is pretty straight-forward to get it going.  Nothing is "simple" but in this case, pick your two pins, connect up the power and GND and you will be surprised how quickly you can get numbers streaming out.

Be careful in your designs because I found the IIC clobbers other clocks, at least in mine it did perhaps due to the chip choice I have made.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10

Byte I2C interface is quite simple: After setting up the component and starting it you use

I2C_MasterSendStart(DeviceAddress,I2C_WRITE_XFER_MODE);    // Initialize a transaction for writing
    I2C_MasterWrite(Register);                // Indicate which register you want to write to
    I2C_MasterWriteByte(Value);                // Write to register
    I2C_MasterSendStop();                    // End of transaction

When you want to read from a device you use (example for reading two bytes

I2C_MasterSendStart(DeviceAddress,I2C_WRITE_XFER_MODE);    // Initialize a transaction for writing
    I2C_MasterWrite(Register);                // Indicate which register you want to write to
    I2C_MasterSendRestart(DeviceAddress,I2C_READ_XFER_MODE);
    I2C_MasterReadByte(I2C_ACK_DATA);            // Read from register
    I2C_MasterReadByte(I2C_NAK_DATA);            // Read from register, last byte is NAKed
    I2C_MasterSendStop();                    // End of transaction

Not too difficult. Keep in mind that most of the APIs (except those for reading a byte) return a status byte which, when non-zero indicate an error condition.

Bob

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI i have the same problem . i have a project in which i should use MPU-9250 with cypress 4 BLE ,i don't know how to use theme ,PLZ if anyone has any information about that help me and thanks...

0 Likes