Multiple Segment LCDs to one PSoC4

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
YongseokJeon
Level 4
Level 4
Distributor
50 replies posted 50 questions asked 25 replies posted

Hi,
My customer will be using the CY8C4124PVS-S412.
Is it possible to drive the LCD by connecting two segment LCDs to one PSoC4 as shown in the attached block diagram?

Blockdiagram.JPG

Thanks and Regards,
YS

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
SampathS_11
250 sign-ins 250 solutions authored 5 questions asked

Hello @YongseokJeon ,

It is possible to implement our customer's scheme. We can use only one "LCD_Seg" component,  and configure it to 4 commons and (7x2 = 14) segments.

We can also use the component's Display Helper to map two 7 segment displays of 4 digits each, and map each segment. I am attaching a PSoC Creator project with my example mapping. Our customer may need to change mapping of the individual segments in the "Display Helper" tab of the component's configurator.

Do kindly let me know if you or our customer has further questions.

Best regards,

Sampath

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
SampathS_11
250 sign-ins 250 solutions authored 5 questions asked

Hello @YongseokJeon ,

It is possible to implement our customer's scheme. We can use only one "LCD_Seg" component,  and configure it to 4 commons and (7x2 = 14) segments.

We can also use the component's Display Helper to map two 7 segment displays of 4 digits each, and map each segment. I am attaching a PSoC Creator project with my example mapping. Our customer may need to change mapping of the individual segments in the "Display Helper" tab of the component's configurator.

Do kindly let me know if you or our customer has further questions.

Best regards,

Sampath

0 Likes
YongseokJeon
Level 4
Level 4
Distributor
50 replies posted 50 questions asked 25 replies posted

Hi, Sampath.

Thanks for your help.
From the hardware point of view, is it okay to short the COM line of LCD1 and the COM line of LCD2 as shown in the picture?

Thanks and Regards,
YS

0 Likes

Hello @YongseokJeon ,

Unfortunately, I have not muxed two segment LCDs by connecting their commons together, while keeping their segments driven separately. Since LCDs draw very small current, I think it should be OK to connect the commons of two segment LCD modules together. 

I suggest a quick prototyping to check if they really work. I presume you would be wanting to drive two segment LCDs of the same type.

Best regards,

Sampath

0 Likes