MiniProg stopped working

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AnWa_1259496
Level 4
Level 4
Welcome! 50 replies posted 25 replies posted

We have two MiniProg 3 (ver B) programmers that we have successfully been using for a while to program devices using power cycle mode. 

Both of these no longer work. They still program other devices such as PSoC 1 successfully.

This is using the same connector harness and device which worked before, and the only change I can recall making is upgrading PSoC Programmer from some earlier version to 3.25.0.2504. I may have upgraded firmware after being prompted but cant recall for sure.

Is there some issue with 3.25 with power cycle programming on PSoC BLE devices? Specific device is CYBL10161-56.

0 Likes
4 Replies
AnWa_1259496
Level 4
Level 4

I reverted to version 3.24 of PSoC Programmer and this works.

So version 3.25 is broken for power-cycle programming of PSoC BLE devices. Unable to acquire device.

0 Likes
Bob_Marlowe
Level 10
Level 10
First like given 50 questions asked 10 questions asked

@Andy

I would suggest you to create a support case to get a fast solution (Top of this page -> Design Support -> ...). A Cypress engineer will get in contact with you.

Bob

0 Likes
AnWa_1259496
Level 4
Level 4

I am still looking into this. Another factor I found was that PSoC programmer does not usually recover from hangs which occur when the device cant be acquired, or when the red abort button is clicked during a hang.

So, in most cases when this happens, every subsequent programming attempt will fail until the program is closed and the MiniProg is unplugged and plugged back in. Until I realised this I wasted a huge amount of time!

This might have caused a false assumption that the downgrade to 3.24 may have cured the problem. I have spent so much time on this that I dont want to upgrade again to 3.25 yet to see if it breaks, so wont be raising a support case at this point.

I spent ages messing about with the settings to get it to work. I am not sure what the clock speed is supposed to be but 8 Mhz appears to work best. 3.3 volt programming is needed whereas I was previously using 5V which does not.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm, I've run into a similar issue where I sometimes have to restart the program and replug the hardware to fix a failure-to-program issue, but I don't recall which version I'm running. (I have two miniprog3's, so it's hard to remember which is which)

0 Likes