Maximum current required for VREF when using an external reference for PSoC4 SARADC

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
SuSh_1535366
Level 5
Level 5
Distributor - Macnica (Japan)
10 solutions authored 10 likes given 10 likes received

Hello,

When using an external VREF for the SARADC of CY8C4246AZI-L445, what is the maximum current required for the reference?

To be more specific, we are thinking of using LT6656AIDC-4.096 as the external reference IC.
The output current of this IC is 1uA.
Will the SARADC work properly with this IC?

Regards,
Shimamura

0 Likes
1 Solution
DennisS_46
Employee
Employee
100 sign-ins 50 likes received 50 solutions authored

The LT6656 is specified for a load current of 5 mA. The VrefIn load current of 588 uA at 18 MHz and Vref = 4.096 should not be a problem for the LT6656. Application schematics and text references in the Linear datasheet show a 1.0 uF cap on the Vref output for stability. This works further to reduce the transient noise (at the ADC clock frequency) on the Vref input load.
---- Dennis

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Hi Shimamura,

The ADC will not load an external reference significantly. You should be able to use LT6656AIDC-4.096 without any problem.

Best Regards,
Vasanth

0 Likes
SuSh_1535366
Level 5
Level 5

Hello Vasanth, 

Thank you for your answer.

If there is a defined maximum/minimum current required for VREF, could you please tell me how much it is?

Regards,

Shimamura

0 Likes
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Hi Shimamura san,

I need to correct my previous statement. The current drawn from the VREF is actually proportion to the clock. The actual equation is

I = Vref *fC  , where Vref is the external reference voltage, f is the adc component clock frequency and C is 8pF.

The current value can go to 147uA ( if Vref=1.024,f=18MHz). So you need a better Vref current. Apologies for the inaccuracy in the initial statement.

Best Regards,
Vasanth

0 Likes
DennisS_46
Employee
Employee
100 sign-ins 50 likes received 50 solutions authored

The LT6656 is specified for a load current of 5 mA. The VrefIn load current of 588 uA at 18 MHz and Vref = 4.096 should not be a problem for the LT6656. Application schematics and text references in the Linear datasheet show a 1.0 uF cap on the Vref output for stability. This works further to reduce the transient noise (at the ADC clock frequency) on the Vref input load.
---- Dennis

0 Likes
SuSh_1535366
Level 5
Level 5

Hello Vasanth-san, Dennis-san,

Thanks for the information.

In the original design, they used LT1790BIS6-4.096 (output current 60uA) with 1MHz frequency.
According to the information you provided, the current at this time is 32.768uA.

However, (as you know) it is becoming difficult to purchase this part, so they are looking for an alternative part.

It looks like LT6656AIDC-4.096 is not usable.
I will ask them to look for other parts.

Thank you for your support.

Regards,

Shimamura

0 Likes
SuSh_1535366
Level 5
Level 5

Sorry, I misread the model number of the reference IC.
LT6656AIDC-4.096 can be used for Vref for ADC.

Thank you for your answer.

Regards,

Shimamura

0 Likes