MagSense on Port3 only

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
CaRu_1547706
Level 1
Level 1
Welcome! First question asked First reply posted

Hi Cypress Community...

I want to use the CY8C4745 for one LinearSlider and a full 8bit Smart-I/O port for external control of attached circuit...while not losing the SWD capability.

How can I force (break/delete) the restriction of beginning MagSense sensors on Port2...as I need this full Smart-I/O port for external drive.

If we add more than 8 sensors...Port3 is free to use for additional sensors...where I can change/patch out the restriction for Port2 to add my LinearSlider to Port3 directly while I still can use SWD and have my own 8bit Smart-I/O settings free for use ?

Technically it is possible, as if I add DUMMY 8 sensors on Port2...LinearSlider on Port3 is working fine...
If I use my LinearSlider on Port2...I have to remove SWD to get an full 8bit Smart-I/O free for usage...that's make debuging nearly impossible.

As I need one Sensor only...It would perfect to use them in the upper nibble of Port3, still have SWD and use Port2 for own 8bit Smart-I/O configuration.

Please help before I have to go through all the API code to break Port2 starting MagSense restriction.

Many thanks and best regards.

Carsten

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi CaRu_1547706,

We have filed an enhancement request based on your requirement. This request will be evaluated based on priority in future and there wouldn't be an immediate solution to this. We may get this feature in the future component versions based on priority and feasibility. We regret the inconvenience caused at the moment.

Regards,

Bragadeesh

Regards,
Bragadeesh

View solution in original post

4 Replies
BragadeeshV
First question asked 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi CaRu_1547706​,

It is not possible to use Port 3 for MagSense unless and otherwise complete port 2 is used for MagSense. It is as per internal design and unfortunately can not be modified.

We recommend you to shift the Magsense sensors to Port 2 and use Port 3 for SmartIO operations.

You need to have a jumper connection to choose between GPIO use and debug use in Pins 3.2 and 3.3. You might also need two projects (Debug/ GPIO) settings in the systems tab of Design wide resources window. Based on the project being loaded you can set the jumper position.

Also I'm not clear with your requirement. How many segments are there in your magsense linear Slider (or linear encoder)?

Regards,

Bragadeesh

Regards,
Bragadeesh

Hi Bragadeesh,

there is one LinearEncoder in the design only...so one proximity sensor used...coil shape taken from the COIL reference PCB.

But, as I need while debug the full 8bit Smart-I/O port to pass modified data to external logic...I can't have it seperated as you suggested.

I don't like the idea to debug the parts seperated...as in problem cases while merging...I can't debug the real hardware.

Why there is such limitation for Port usage anyway ?

The internal multiplexer does not care where it is routing from, I guess...same for Smart-I/O...I think...

It makes the 4745 VERY unflexible for designs like my.

Many thanks and best regards.

Carsten

0 Likes

Hi CaRu_1547706​,

We understand your requirement. We have forwarded your query to our internal team for evaluation. We will get back to you shortly.

Regards,

Bragadeesh

Regards,
Bragadeesh

Hi CaRu_1547706,

We have filed an enhancement request based on your requirement. This request will be evaluated based on priority in future and there wouldn't be an immediate solution to this. We may get this feature in the future component versions based on priority and feasibility. We regret the inconvenience caused at the moment.

Regards,

Bragadeesh

Regards,
Bragadeesh