MAC address changes depending on PSoC Creator version?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

We've been using PSoC Creator 4.0 for our BLE Broadcaster project.  The option "Silicon generated 'Company assigned' part of the device address" is checked in the GAP settings.  The BLE component version in the project is 2.10.

I recently ran a build of the same code using PSoC Creator 4.2 (loading the same project).  It updated the BLE component to v3.51.  I verified that all options in the BLE component are set the same.

Our problem is thus: The BLE MAC address is different (and constant) depending on which firmware image we load.  That is, if we load the 4.0-based build we get one MAC address.  If we load the 4.2-based build on the same device we get a different MAC address.

We are not writing a custom MAC address to user flash row 0.  We'd prefer to not have to.

My understanding is that with the "Silicon generated 'Company assigned' part of the device address" option checked, the MAC address should be a function of various aspects of the die's manufacturing (X & Y location, wafer lot, wafer number, etc).  If that is that case, then the MAC address shouldn't be changing.

Can anyone tell me why the address is different between the two compiled images?

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Yugandhar
500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted 5 likes given

Hello Sean,

In case of latest versions of BLE component from BLE v3.0 the device address is generated using the factory programmed die X/Y location, wafer ID and lot ID of the silicon. But in case of old versions of BLE component such as BLE v2.1 the device address is generated based on die X/Y location, wafer ID of the silicon only it does not include lot ID of the silicon.

Thanks,

PSYU.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
GyanC_36
Employee
Employee
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hello,

Your understanding is correct.

I could not see this issue with a project build with PC-4.0 and 4.2 with a Silicon Generated MAC Address at my side.

Which BLE  device are you using ?

Could you try with a different device and confirm as well?

Which BLE Component version are you using in both the projects? ( Put the cursor on BLE component or open the BLE component datasheet and check)

-Gyan

0 Likes
Yugandhar
500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted 5 likes given

Hello Sean,

In case of latest versions of BLE component from BLE v3.0 the device address is generated using the factory programmed die X/Y location, wafer ID and lot ID of the silicon. But in case of old versions of BLE component such as BLE v2.1 the device address is generated based on die X/Y location, wafer ID of the silicon only it does not include lot ID of the silicon.

Thanks,

PSYU.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, PSYU.  This does appear to be the case.

0 Likes