KitProg bootloader host uses wrong com port

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
dparent94
Level 2
Level 2
First solution authored First like received 5 replies posted

I am using the bootloader host to program the KtiProg to be an oscilloscope/function generator as shown in this project outlined here .  It works well for me, but there is a problem when some of my students try it. (The tcl  program that controls the Ktiporg Scope can not find the com port assigned by bootloader host and crashes.)  It can happen on Intel and AMD machines.

After some debugging it looks like the bootloader host uses COM3 no matter what.  When it works I get:

"Selected device: Intel(R) Active Management Technology - SOL (COM3) - UART
Generic Serial Port "  after loading the program into the kitprog.

When it is does not work (some students) IT will program the kitprog but it will give:

"Selected device: Standard Serial over Bluetooth link (COM3) - UART"  It looks like COM3 has been assigned to a blue tooth device.  Can you change which port it uses?  Bootloader host gives no error, but the software that uses the Ktiprog as an oscilloscope/function generator crashes when it tries to use it.  I have even programmed the CY8CKIT-043 and got everything working on one machine, only to have it fail when trying to use the software that controls the KitProg.  Maybe this is a Windows issue with COM3?

Thanks,

-Dave 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi Gautami,

I have been debugging some more and I can change the com port with no problem.  I also set the usb device settings  to turn off power mangement:

dparent94_0-1658940027834.png

as well as set the power to bus-powered on the USB part

dparent94_1-1658940081190.png

I also turned off blue tooth

These things did not work.  When I start the software and try to select the com port the program (tcl) just crashes because it can not enumerate the serial port.  The trouble is that it works for me on all my machines, but it does not work for some students.  I should be able to get a computer that the kitprog scope does not work by Monday.

We also tried running things in windows 8 mode.  

Thanks so much,

-Dave

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
dparent94
Level 2
Level 2
First solution authored First like received 5 replies posted

Here is a picture of Device manager on a machine that does not work.

dparent94_2-1656610657817.png

Here is a picture of Device manager on a machine that does not work.

dparent94_1-1656610619932.png

0 Likes
AlenAn14
500 replies posted 100 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi @dparent94 ,

Apologies on the delay on response for this issue.

Can you please let me know from where you have downloaded the GUI based TCL software that controls the KitProg scope for this?

Warm Regards
Alen

0 Likes

Hi Alen,
No worries. The link is here:https://github.com/Infineon/CyScope

It comes with documentation, but my tutorial on how to use it is here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XRTYy002uzGYpdQKXqnoMkVz2ufQ8Cd9xljDQweW7OU/edit?usp=sharing
Thanks,
-Dave

0 Likes

Hello Dave.

Your weblinks don't show up.  We only see "<>".  Maybe try typing the links instead of pasting them.  OR, paste them again and review your message for their content.

0 Likes
0 Likes
Gautami_12
50 likes received 100 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi @dparent94,

Apologies for the delay in response to this issue.

Can you please let us know where you want to change the COM3 port in the bootloader host or software tools?

Warm Regards,
Gautami J

0 Likes

Hi Gautami,

I have been debugging some more and I can change the com port with no problem.  I also set the usb device settings  to turn off power mangement:

dparent94_0-1658940027834.png

as well as set the power to bus-powered on the USB part

dparent94_1-1658940081190.png

I also turned off blue tooth

These things did not work.  When I start the software and try to select the com port the program (tcl) just crashes because it can not enumerate the serial port.  The trouble is that it works for me on all my machines, but it does not work for some students.  I should be able to get a computer that the kitprog scope does not work by Monday.

We also tried running things in windows 8 mode.  

Thanks so much,

-Dave

0 Likes
Gautami_12
50 likes received 100 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi @dparent94,

Apologies for the delay in response.

I tried to recreate the issue and implement the solution that you provided.

As you mentioned "I should be able to get a computer that the kitprog scope does not work by Monday"

Did you try this?

Warm Regards,
Gautami J

0 Likes