Issue with CY5677 BLE dongle.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
ChrisMims
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted 10 sign-ins First like given

I'm having some issues with the CY5677 dongle. I had another post, where I thought the problem was solved (here). I need to use the CY5677 BLE dongle with Unity to connect to a BLE device (the MAXREFDES104 by Maxim Integrated). The CySmart DLLs didn't work by default within Unity, so we made a custom firmware, as shown in the other thread. This did allow the dongle to be accessed within Unity, but we ran into another issue: the dongle is no longer recognized by Maxim Integrated's tools, nor the CySmart 1.3 application. Any console applications that try to use the CySmart dongle with the modified firmware now crash to desktop when they try to connect.

I've attached two screenshots with relevant error messages, one from one of Maxim Integrated's tools (the window title says "Connection Issue"), and one from CySmart 1.3 (the window title says "Select BLE Dongle Target").

Any help resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated. I'd really love to get this project moving.

Thank you for your time,

Chris Mims

0 Likes
1 Solution
LeoMathews
First question asked 500 replies posted 100 solutions authored

Hi @ChrisMims 

Can you please specify the issues that you encountered while connecting the PSoC device with MAXREFDES104? I assume there is a separate project for communicating between the PSoC device with  MAXREFDES104. If so, you need to make the corresponding changes in Unity 3D project to display the data.

So the entire workflow will be:

>Creating the project for communicating the CY5677 dongle with MAXREFDES104.
>The Unity project for i
nterfacing the above system to display the required data.

Thanks and Regards,
Leo

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
LeoMathews

Hi @ChrisMims 

Was Unity 3D running in the background communicating with the dongle while using Maxim Integrated's tools, or the CySmart 1.3 application? It can happen because the COM port is busy as the CY5677 dongle is connected via Unity. Therefore at that time, the same COM port cannot be used with another application. 

For the dongle to be recognized by Maxim Integrated's tools or the CySmart 1.3 application, the dongle must be disconnected from Unity(disable the connection within Unity settings).

Also can you please give us an idea about your end application project with Unity 3D, CY5677 dongle, and MAXREFDES104 by Maxim Integrated?

Thanks and Regards,
Leo

0 Likes

Hey, @LeoMathews!

Unity was not running, and I did reboot my PC just in case that would help. I have two CY5677 dongles (one with the stock firmware, and one that has been modified). The modified one is recognized by Unity, but not by any other application attempting to access the COM ports. The unmodified one is recognized by most applications, but not by Unity.

The project we're working on uses Unity 3D to display data received from the MAXREFDES104. The MAXREFDES104 is configured in a way that it seems to only communicate over BLE with the CY5677 dongle. We need to be able to send some commands to the MAXREFDES104 from within Unity (such as turning sensors on/off), as well as receive a continuous stream of real-time health data (such as heart rate, blood oxygen, etc.) from the device.

0 Likes
LeoMathews

Hi  @ChrisMims 

May I ask why are you trying to connect the CY5677 dongle again with CySmart 1.3 application after programming with the provided firmware? Cysmart 1.3 application couldn't recognize the modified one because a custom firmware is already present in the dongle. To recognize the dongle by CySmart 1.3 you need to reprogram the device using the hex file present in the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\CySmart\1.3\dongle\CY5677. 

The modified firmware was provided as it can serve as an example for your end application to communicate between Unity and the dongle.

Thanks and Regards,
Leo

0 Likes
ChrisMims
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted 10 sign-ins First like given

Hey, @LeoMathews!

Unity was not running, and I did reboot my PC just in case that would help. I have two CY5677 dongles (one with the stock firmware, and one that has been modified). The modified one is recognized by Unity, but not by any other application attempting to access the COM ports. The unmodified one is recognized by most applications, but not by Unity.

When using the modified dongle with my Unity project, I was still having issues connecting to the MAXREFDES104, so I decided to try running some other applications that worked previously to troubleshoot my problem. That’s when I discovered the issue described above.

0 Likes
LeoMathews

Hi @ChrisMims 

Can you please specify the issues that you encountered while connecting the PSoC device with MAXREFDES104? I assume there is a separate project for communicating between the PSoC device with  MAXREFDES104. If so, you need to make the corresponding changes in Unity 3D project to display the data.

So the entire workflow will be:

>Creating the project for communicating the CY5677 dongle with MAXREFDES104.
>The Unity project for i
nterfacing the above system to display the required data.

Thanks and Regards,
Leo

0 Likes

Hey, @LeoMathews,

Yes, we have a separate project that will display all of the incoming information on a chart real-time. It was previously configured to receive data through Windows COM ports, and now we’re trying to set it up to work with the CY5677 dongle to connect to the MAXREFDES104 through BLE. I guess the question I should be asking is how can I connect the CY5677 dongle through Unity to the MAXREFDES104 over BLE?

0 Likes
LeoMathews

Hi @ChrisMims 

The MAXREFDES104 should be programmed so that it can read and send real-time data to the CY5677 dongle. The method of sending the data to the dongle over BLE should be mentioned in the MAXREFDES104 user guide. Once send, the data acquired by the dongle can be displayed with Unity using the Ardity package by providing commands via Unity. Also, can you please share the MAXREFDES104 user guide?

Thanks and Regards,
Leo

0 Likes
LeoMathews

Hi @ChrisMims ,

Thread was locked due to inactivity for long time, you can continue the discussion on the topic by opening a new thread with reference to the locked one. The continuous discussion in an inactive thread may mostly be unattended by community users.

Thanks and Regards,
Leo

0 Likes