How to communicate UART using miniprog4

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
bugkiller
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 50 sign-ins First like received

Currently, I'm using miniprog4 to my custom cypress board for program and debug(CY8C4248LQI-553). It is pretty good debugger but I want to read my uart message. I tried using TX & RX pins of my board, but they are already occupied and I can't use it for UART message. 

After that, I read a paper of miniprog and I saw that by using 12 pin connetor of miniprog4, I can comminicate UART.

My question is : what cable do I have to use? And I just plug in the cable to labtop?

Best regards, BK.

bugkiller_0-1673594133197.png 

0 Likes
1 Solution
BiBi_1928986
Level 7
Level 7
First comment on blog 500 replies posted 250 replies posted

Hello.

To use Miniprog as USB-UART bridge, simply plug in Miniprog USB into PC USB port.  It will show up as a COM port on PC.
Connect Miniprog TX to target RX signal.
Connect Miniprog RX to target TX signal.
Connect Miniprog GND to target GND.

I do this all the time with Kitprog and Miniprog works in a similar method.

Since you mentioned your target is using UART TX and RX, you won't be able to use Miniprog USB-UART bridge feature.

Miniprog does not support SWD to UART communication path.  Maybe this is what you were hoping to configure?

To monitor UART traffic, you could enter Debugging mode with Miniprog/Creator, open a watch window where the memory displayed represents the UART TX buffer and UART RX buffer.  The memory displayed is just a snap-shot.  If there's lots of UART traffic, it will be difficult to view.

If you have I2C GPIO pins available, you could connect an I2C-USB converter (FTDI UMFT201XB-01) or similar.  Output the data you want to observe via I2C.

Lastly, you can bit bash a UART thru any available GPIO pin(2).  A software TX UART is available in the component catalog.  Connect this to Miniprog and start monitoring.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
BiBi_1928986
Level 7
Level 7
First comment on blog 500 replies posted 250 replies posted

Hello.

To use Miniprog as USB-UART bridge, simply plug in Miniprog USB into PC USB port.  It will show up as a COM port on PC.
Connect Miniprog TX to target RX signal.
Connect Miniprog RX to target TX signal.
Connect Miniprog GND to target GND.

I do this all the time with Kitprog and Miniprog works in a similar method.

Since you mentioned your target is using UART TX and RX, you won't be able to use Miniprog USB-UART bridge feature.

Miniprog does not support SWD to UART communication path.  Maybe this is what you were hoping to configure?

To monitor UART traffic, you could enter Debugging mode with Miniprog/Creator, open a watch window where the memory displayed represents the UART TX buffer and UART RX buffer.  The memory displayed is just a snap-shot.  If there's lots of UART traffic, it will be difficult to view.

If you have I2C GPIO pins available, you could connect an I2C-USB converter (FTDI UMFT201XB-01) or similar.  Output the data you want to observe via I2C.

Lastly, you can bit bash a UART thru any available GPIO pin(2).  A software TX UART is available in the component catalog.  Connect this to Miniprog and start monitoring.

bugkiller
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 50 sign-ins First like received

I did not know that I can use debugg watch as UART. I'll try this definitely. Thanks for the answer!