How do I get a breakdown of memory usage?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
NXTY_Tatebayasi
Level 5
Level 5
Distributor - NEXTY (Japan)
50 questions asked 25 likes received 250 sign-ins

Hi,Community

I would like to calculate the memory usage of each software function created in the Modus Toolbox.

The list of calculations I was able to find in the map file is shown in the figure.

Since this list shows the memory usage for the entire code, it is not possible to calculate the memory usage for each function, which is what I want to know.

Could you give me a list or a way to show me a breakdown of memory usage?

NXTY_Tatebayasi_0-1675747352208.png

Best Regards,

Chihiro Tatebayashi

0 Likes
1 Solution
LeoMathews
First question asked 500 replies posted 100 solutions authored

Hi @NXTY_Tatebayasi 

I can share an article that helps you to analyze the breakdown of memory usage for each function. Please refer to it and check if it helps. It has a link to a github repo that contains a C# application that reads the data from the map and presents it in a list view.

To use the tool please provide the .map file and .elf file in the input section as shown:

LeoMathews_0-1675776359494.png

Navigate to settings and provide the NMPath and ReadELFPath provided by the toolchain(GNU). (You can provide them from from Cypress folder) as shown:

LeoMathews_1-1675776517319.png

Click on analyze. You should be able to obtain the memory breakdown of the map file.

Thanks and Regards,
Leo

View solution in original post

4 Replies
LeoMathews

Hi @NXTY_Tatebayasi 

I can share an article that helps you to analyze the breakdown of memory usage for each function. Please refer to it and check if it helps. It has a link to a github repo that contains a C# application that reads the data from the map and presents it in a list view.

To use the tool please provide the .map file and .elf file in the input section as shown:

LeoMathews_0-1675776359494.png

Navigate to settings and provide the NMPath and ReadELFPath provided by the toolchain(GNU). (You can provide them from from Cypress folder) as shown:

LeoMathews_1-1675776517319.png

Click on analyze. You should be able to obtain the memory breakdown of the map file.

Thanks and Regards,
Leo

NXTY_Tatebayasi
Level 5
Level 5

Hi, @LeoMathews 

Thank you for sharing useful information.

I will try it as soon as possible.
By the way, I sometimes use PSoC Creator too.
Do you know if it is possible to expand the map file generated by PSoC Creator in a similar way?

Best Regards,

Chihiro Tatebayashi

0 Likes
LeoMathews

Hi @NXTY_Tatebayasi 

You should be able to do the same for PSoC Creator. Please provide the .map and .elf files as input, set the NMPath and ReadELFPath to the tool and then click on analyze.

Thanks and Regards,
Leo

0 Likes
NXTY_Tatebayasi
Level 5
Level 5

Hi, @LeoMathews  

Thank you for your help!

I am free from this problem.

Best Regard,