High frequency digital output

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AlSp_2628001
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hi everyone.

I'm pretty new to this architecture and I'm asked to generate a 16 MHz square wave output, using a CY8C4125LQS-S423.

My understanding is that this part no. has a fixed 24 MHz clock and that I can't route an internal fractional divider to a pin. 

Am I right?

Thank you for your help.

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

AlSp,

You are correct.  The part you have chosen (CY8C4125LQS-S423) is very limited.  (Max and only IMO Clock: 24MHz and No UDBs).

If you can switch to the CY8C4145 or CY8C4146 series of parts, you can generate a 32MHz IMO and use it to drive a PWM with a Period of 1 and a Compare of 1.  This will provide a 16MHz square wave that you can route to a digital output pin.

Here is an example project of the change suggested.

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

AlSp,

You are correct.  The part you have chosen (CY8C4125LQS-S423) is very limited.  (Max and only IMO Clock: 24MHz and No UDBs).

If you can switch to the CY8C4145 or CY8C4146 series of parts, you can generate a 32MHz IMO and use it to drive a PWM with a Period of 1 and a Compare of 1.  This will provide a 16MHz square wave that you can route to a digital output pin.

Here is an example project of the change suggested.

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."
0 Likes
AlSp_2628001
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Thank you very much for your reply!

Regards,

Alberto

0 Likes