FreeRTOS ported to the PSoC 4

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've ported FreeRTOS to PSoC 4 - which really was extremely trivial. It's simply the Cortex M0 port with some configuration & glue from the PSoC 5 demo.

The attached demo app creates three tasks that toggle the red, green and blue LEDs on the PSoC 4 pioneer board at slightly different rates, resulting in a pleasing (if somewhat psychedelic) light show. Adapting this demo for your own purposes should be straightforward.

Note that because the PSoC Capsense component makes (undocumented) use of the systick timer, it's not currently possible to use FreeRTOS and the PSoC Capsense component together.

0 Likes
9 Replies
ViDv_264506
Level 5
Level 5
50 sign-ins 25 sign-ins 5 solutions authored

Hi Nick,

many thanks for this implementation.

Regards,

Viktor

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Correction: Capsense does not use SysTick; the issue was an unrelated interrupt problem.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm a FreeRTOS newbie so bewar with me.

Is it possible to use FreeRTOS to communicate with a usb wifi dongle by connecting the psoc4 to a usb hub?

0 Likes
HeLi_263931
Level 8
Level 8
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 25 solutions authored

Short answer: no.

Long answer: this would not even be possible without FreeRTOS - there won't be any software / driver support for this WiFi dongle on the PSoC (no matter which one). But you can always check the list of supported systems for your WiFi dongle, maybe you are lucky 🙂

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Nick,

Thanks for the implementation.

I am using your sample project on PSOC 4 BLE. What is the period of this counter? If it's configurable, how is it configured? I can't find anything in the design-wide resources file or by searching the code? Can we use external clock (WCO) as my tick source?

Is it possible to go sleep mode when idle?

Regards,

Nilesh

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

My question is, in PSOC4 BLE to run on RTOS of at the same time, can run  BLE?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Can BLE have Free RTOS Driver 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Nick, i ported the RTOS demo project to my PSoC 4 BLE and it worked fine after updating the components.

0 Likes
Hummelong
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Thanks Nick.  It was nice to have this port to get started.  I've just been assigned responsibility for PSOC4 and it was great to get this running quickly with a few updates and changes.  The new Pioneer board uses different pins for the LEDs and some of the files needed updating, but all-in-all pretty painless.

0 Likes