External powerr issue

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AdamsChengTW
Level 3
Level 3
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins 10 questions asked

Hello Guys,

Now I have a problem about external power.

When the board power on 5.0V is not working.

If I adjust power to 3.3V is working no problem.

I also change the PSoC Creator's setting to 5.0.

But, result is same not working in 5V.

Am I missing something ?

[PSoc Creator setting]

ExternalPower.jpg

[My board's schematic]

CY8C4125.jpg

0 Likes
1 Solution

Seems no error in schematic.

Could you replace R147 back to resistor or resistor+led then repeat the test?  Without a current limit resistor, sink current on P4.3 may excess absolute maximum spec of per GPIO (25mA),  i am not sure if this may cause abnormal IO logic.

In addition, please check C33, confirm the cap value is 1uF or 100nF. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Ekta_N
750 replies posted First like given 250 solutions authored

Hello Cheng,

A. Please follow the following guidelines for schematic:

1) In case of Unregulated External Power Supply the VDDA an VDDD pins should be connected to power supply via 1uF and 0.1uF parallel capacitors as shown in the figure below.

2) XRES pin is active LOW. XRES is internally pulled up to VDDD via a 5.6-kΩ resistor; you do not need an external pull-up resistor for XRES.

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

Refer to the PSoC 4 Hardware Consideration Guide for more details on this: https://www.cypress.com/file/141176/download

B. Also, can you let me know what do you mean by "When the board power on 5.0V is not working." Does this mean that you are able to program successfully but are facing issues with the working part.

C. Measure the voltage on the VCCD pin, it should be 1.8V, since the output of the regulators routed to this pin.

Best Regards

Ekta

0 Likes

Hi Ekta,

B. Also, can you let me know what do you mean by "When the board power on 5.0V is not working." Does this mean that you are able to program successfully but are facing issues with the working part.

I use a sample code for test (LED toggle per 500ms)

When VDD is 3.3V. MCU is running.

If VDD change to  5.0V. MCU looks like no running. Because LED is no toggle.

0 Likes
Ekta_N
750 replies posted First like given 250 solutions authored

Hi Cheng,

1) Can you please attach the complete schematic as well as the project that you are using for testing , this would help us to check the connection of the LED and other issues that might be present.

2) In PSoC Creator when testing for the 5V case, please perform the following steps:

• Connect the device to your PC
  • In PSoC Creator goto Debug tab and select Attach to running Target.
  • In the Attach to Target dialogue box, select the device. (ensure halt target on attach check box is selected)
  • Click OK

Let us know about the point a which the program halted.

3) As mentioned in the previous response, Measure the voltage at the VCCD pin. If the voltage is 1.8V, then there is no issue with the chip.

Best Regards

Ekta

0 Likes

Dear Ekta,

1) The complete schematic PDF file I put to google drive .

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13ogM0BK4G4OZ4veXJlVTs7H0iFMK9hu0

I replace  R147 to LED for test.

2) I find the program is running in debug.  But, I/O output no change in 5V.

error01.jpg

error02.jpg

3) I have confirmed that VCCD is 1.8V.

0 Likes

Seems no error in schematic.

Could you replace R147 back to resistor or resistor+led then repeat the test?  Without a current limit resistor, sink current on P4.3 may excess absolute maximum spec of per GPIO (25mA),  i am not sure if this may cause abnormal IO logic.

In addition, please check C33, confirm the cap value is 1uF or 100nF. 

HI,

I try resistor+led .Now I/O is working well.

I think the problem is the same as what you said should be caused by excessive current.

Thank you very much for your help~

0 Likes