Encryption required for characteristic access

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all,

I've gotten my peripheral/server to correctly bond and store bonding information with the cysmart usb dongle, but upon reconnecting it seems as though the cysmart dongle is no longer in an encrypted connection. (It gives errors on trying to access characteristics that require encryption to be read).

I was under the impression that the cysmart dongle should automatically setup encryption on reconnecting to a previously bonded unit, is this an invalid assumption? Or should I be requesting an encryption on the "client" side of the connection every time I connect before reading data that requires encryption?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Once you have connected the Dongle to the device, can you please make sure they are paired (in addition to being connected). Please press the Pair button in the CySmart Window, upon which the link is encrypted.

Regards,

- Madhu Sudhan

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Once you have connected the Dongle to the device, can you please make sure they are paired (in addition to being connected). Please press the Pair button in the CySmart Window, upon which the link is encrypted.

Regards,

- Madhu Sudhan

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm, I used the Pair button and it seems to then be encrypted like you said. Is it required to pair it when connected to a previously bonded device in order to encrypt the connection? Or would this be behavior that is specific to the dongle?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the link has to be encrypted, then either of the two BLE devices should send an authentication/encryption request. This is done when you click the Pair button. So, independent of whether bonded or not, either of the devices should send an encryption request or pairing request to encrypt the link. This is not specific to the dongle. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah, that explains it. Thank you yssu and Madhu

0 Likes